Junker restorations/rehabs

I took the motor out and it's dead, pulses a little bit. I don't know why, it seemed fine on the bench at work but no more. I'd like to replace it with a better one if you have any suggestions.

Screenshot_20230702_115345_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I think those motors are plentiful. Look on eBay or Amazon. The trouble with switching to a different motor is all the alignment issues with the frame/shaft/belt etc.., as you know.

I have been working on what us modellers in the UK call a Neverwazzar, it started life as a Neverwazza in the first place, the Athearn DD40 which never actually existed )SP did roster the earlier DD35 but those were Cabless B Units), but I like oddballs and ones offs so one is currently getting a makeover which is currently a work in progress to feature a new cab, SP light packages and a full repaint.
001.jpg

015.jpg

012.jpg

I just can't decide on the number for it, it came as 9505 which was a SD45X so needs something more appropriate.

Also on my bench is my paint tester, an old Athearn Blue Box cab:
CabColours01.jpg

In the UK, correct model paints for specific railroad shades are all but unobtainable and postage restrictions on liquids especially paints (not to mention exorbitant postage costs) means getting them imported is pretty much out of the question so I have to rely on locally sourced mainstream ranges and test, test and test again...

For the paint, just come as close and you can and go with it! There was actually a fair bit of variation in the shade of most 1:1 scale locomotive paint jobs. I had a photo (can't find it now) of 5 UP locomotives fresh out of the paint shop, lined up end to end, and no 2 had the exact shame shade of yellow. I wouldn't lose any sleep over the shade of paint.

Back