junk loco idea

unkaboose

saw this online and thought it would be a good use for a steam loco i have that wont run, do it on a small spur with brush growing up around it images (4).jpg

The long-term plan for my layout includes a Railroad/Mining museum. On display at the entrance will be my old 0-6-0 engine that is too beat up to use and too old to get parts for. It was my first ever loco, though, so I can't bring myself to throw it away.

Although... The idea of an old, rusted out steamer on a dead end spur does have merit... Hmmmmm...

unkaboose

Here’s a Thought.. Why not create your own Short Line RR paint a Black square with white initials for that Short Line RR keeping the locomotive basically as how one found it .. except for the Painted Black patch and new Short Line RR initials. fyi ,look at the photo again which you posted.

BCK RR

I bought a non-running engine from someone on this forum. It will be sitting on an abandoned spur, all rusted and with tall grass around it. The windows are boarded up, and there is a bucket set over the stack. The premise is that it had some stays blow, and it's sitting there awaiting a repair (that will never occur).

I bought a non-running engine from someone on this forum. It will be sitting on an abandoned spur, all rusted and with tall grass around it. The windows are boarded up, and there is a bucket set over the stack. The premise is that it had some stays blow, and it's sitting there awaiting a repair (that will never occur).

Post a picture!

I'm going to model a condensed version of NRE in Silvis, IL. This is a locomotive recycling plant in the former home of Rock Island's loco shops. They convert locos with more eco friendly engines, refurbish, upgrade and lease engines, etc. I have bought about 25 scrap engines so far to model this facility.

Here's a link to a satellite image of the facility with hundreds of engines awaiting their turn.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...2!3m1!1s0x87e23a334da2f219:0x4ce455979447966b

At the top edge of the facility is what looks like an old loco servicing building in need of recycling itself.

Very nice transition. Since the boiler cover seems to be missing, you could always add interior details, like flues, and the exhaust pipe, (the smoke stack on the inside of the boiler), as well as the steam supply pipes to the cylinders. This could be done with a few pieces of styrene, and some pipe castings of the proper size from Plastruct, or left over kit parts.

Forgot to mention that Cal-scale, (Bowser), and Precision Scale Company, both offer boiler fronts in different sizes, if you just want to seal it up.

I've got a couple, one an old commuter tank engine and a standard gage version of one of the Colorado & Southern's narrow gage. They don't run particularly well, so they are parked on a piece of track that isn't connected to any other trackage. A couple with a young boy is looking at the two engines. I may put a small sign on them saying "Keep Off!" Eventually, if "vandalism" begins to occur, I may have to put a chainlink fence around them!

Back