JTEX A switcher junkyard

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

I have been wanting to start my switcher junkyard for a long time now. Well with the garage now built, I started building the bench work today. I have four 4' X 6' sections and one 4' X 6' that will be rounded. Right now the height is 44" high once the plywood gets put on tomorrow, but I'm thinking about lowering that another 4". So here's today's progress shots.

20200516_184245.jpg
20200516_184255.jpg

Last edited:

Comments

M
Just one more ditty: Since I've learned not all your locos are depicted as being junk; that some are waiting repair, perhaps just the title "Switcher Junk Yard" is misleading. Because that's what caused me to believe was its sole function..
Perhaps, other than giving the entire facility a name' like "Stanton yard " or "Fletcher yard", call its function a 'loco maintenance yard [or facility]'.
I only say this because I believe 1:1 scale RRs don't use the term 'junk yard'.. And all completely burned out equipment goes to a bone or scrap yard...

Are you going to put track on those shelves? Or just set the locomotives on the wood? Or are you going to go crazy and put ballasted track on the shelves? :p
No I'll pass on putting track on them. I plan on putting I small piece of trim to the front edge of each shelf. That will keep anything from sliding off. We get a lot of vibrations around here from the Army shooting off artillery. I've already lost a Big Boy to falling off of a 7' shelf.

M
Why build a large display shelf when all or most will eventually be sitting in the junkyard full time, the shelf empty ?..
I can't imagine the grand total value of all those engines. Personally, I'd rather have 4 engines and a new Mercedes...🌵 🛤☀

Last edited by a moderator:

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.