JMRI or A-Track

Well a quick glance suggests the A-Track is only for certain NCE systems.

JMRI works with a wide variety of systems.

What is it that you wish to do with such a program?

I took a quick look at the A-Track user guide. A-Track does only a tiny fraction of what JMRI does.

It appears that A-Track is an alternative to the DecoderPro part of JMRI. This is the portion that is used to program decoders and store information about the configuration of each decoder. Both programs seek to simplify decoder programming.

A-Track has none of the other capabilities of JMRI, which include creating control panels, running trains, controlling turnouts, layout automation, etc.

- Jeff

so far I like JMRI, lets me do what I want/need to model, others may not have the mad skillz it may need, but if you dig in, its all very possible and do-able with JMRI. I have some semi-complicated trackage in a yard ladder with single target signals, and JMRI handles it fine, it took some learning curves to find the JMRI features, but they work, but takes some organization and writing down signal numbers, track numbers, some drawings identifying things, but this all helps, the prototype railroads keep it all logged, so better do it for your layout, or you will get lost. My yard ladder includes 2 heads for a signal indication which requires indications like red/green, yellow/yellow, flashing yallow/red, JMRI can set that up, flip the turnouts and the indications change appropriately, really neato. You can build a dispatcher's plan and throw realistic looking switches on the panel. JMRI is open source worked on by many in the model railroading field, and I think its been done smartly and continues to be updated.

Back