jmri and android tablet

got the kids android tablets for christmas. is it possible to use the android tablet as a computer for jmri to program decoders using the digitrax pr3, or is it only possible to use it as a throttle? i was looking at the pr3, and it shows to have a usb port. the pr3 xtra. thanks.

All the designers and developers of JMRI are in that group. The answer won't be found elsewhere.

Please let us know what you find for an answer. I've wondered the same thing and would be very interested in the possibilities.

The Droid & apple phones & tablets and hardware make excellent throttles dependent upon either JMRI or a Lenz LIUSB (Ethernet version) as the server.

It would require a complete port of JMRI to the Droid or Apple OS and the lack of a USB port on most if not all tablets and phones is a deal breaker.

I suppose an ambitious project could do the port to the tablet OS then use the Lenz Ethernet path, but it seems to me a giant project with little benefit as Lenz is from what I see not a dominant player in the US DCC market place having been outpaced by Digitrax and NCE.

Bob Jacobson and his team at JMRI are a cunning and creative group and rumors persist he may be up to something with Digitrax and Ethernet connectivity so I guess we'll just have to mark time and see.

Merry Christmas to all

Joe

Back