Jim's Layout Progress

riogrande5761

I began erecting benchwork at the end of 2019 after I finished the basement DIHY and it had passed inspection. Here are the first pieces going up. The rest photos here follow the main benchwork construction.

I re-used two 2x8' sections from an old layout and will be adding on. I've lowered the elevation to 39" above the floor and the yard above it will be 51 inches. That will give 12 inches from the staging deck to the upper deck with 11 inches clearance above the staging deck.

zA14sKqh.jpg

Here is where those two old benchwork sections drop into the scale drawing:

Su04LFYh.jpg

Added another section on Monday:

QXGvUwTh.jpg

From there I added benchwork to get all of the support structure in place.

I did a mock-up of four benchwork sections on the floor to make sure it all checked out measurement-wise from the drawing. So far so good.

Rj6HegHh.jpg

3IdDbmUl.jpg

Then got two sections up on legs. They are at a lower elevation to allow for a branch-line that will drop down while the mainline climbs in elevation.

udA3pdTh.jpg

I attached the benchwork lower and lower in a step-wise fashion to accommodate a lower level branch-line. I'm not real skilled at bench-work but have an idea on how it it will go.

Here is the helix area benchwork mostly done:

snFEF2uh.jpg

El8hk8Bh.jpg

nFsWcJoh.jpg

K0EaiaIh.jpg

I began erecting benchwork at the end of 2019 after I finished the basement DIHY and it had passed inspection. Here are the first pieces going up. The rest photos here follow the main benchwork construction.

I re-used two 2x8' sections from an old layout and will be adding on. I've lowered the elevation to 39" above the floor and the yard above it will be 51 inches. That will give 12 inches from the staging deck to the upper deck with 11 inches clearance above the staging deck.

zA14sKqh.jpg

Here is where those two old benchwork sections drop into the scale drawing:

Su04LFYh.jpg

Added another section on Monday:

QXGvUwTh.jpg

From there I added benchwork to get all of the support structure in place.

I did a mock-up of four benchwork sections on the floor to make sure it all checked out measurement-wise from the drawing. So far so good.

Rj6HegHh.jpg

3IdDbmUl.jpg

Then got two sections up on legs. They are at a lower elevation to allow for a branch-line that will drop down while the mainline climbs in elevation.

udA3pdTh.jpg

I attached the benchwork lower and lower in a step-wise fashion to accommodate a lower level branch-line. I'm not real skilled at bench-work but have an idea on how it it will go.

Here is the helix area benchwork mostly done:

snFEF2uh.jpg

El8hk8Bh.jpg

nFsWcJoh.jpg

K0EaiaIh.jpg
Great work, I can see this is going to be one impressive layout, and I look forward to seeing this progress.

Next the staging yard was put in with Homasote and code 100 flex with Peco large turnouts.

qfzIeaQh.jpg

sYEaHPKh.jpg

I saved all my track from my last layout and thought I might have nearly enough code 100 flex for this staging yard but other than a bundle used on curves (one rail shorter), I just ran out of straight sections. But to be fair, the old room was 18' long but this area is 27' and then some with a jog to the helix area.

Fortunately I had ordered a stack of 10 sections a few months ago meant for the helix but will use it to continue the straight area that expands to 11 tracks. I'll have to order some more; fortunately there seems to be plenty in stock at online vendors:

kEl73gkh.jpg

A7DMHP8h.jpg

dbzd3yeh.jpg

Then the subroadbed for the mainline went in:

p61yrBvh.jpg

SVfYcfyh.jpg

bzMs5wgh.jpg

Jim-Glad your posting progress on this forum. I've been following along with your posting and progress on ARF. I'm not very active over there much anymore, but I will defiantly follow along here.

I know you stated your hobby time was limited due to life and housing revisions. Has that time opened up more for you?

I'll try to get this thread up to the present. Here is some more in the chronological progress:

The mainline has reached a point that I am having to get the main yard supports in.

uaXyk38h.jpg

VDLMmORh.jpg

This time around I'm using threaded rods to support the outer edge of the upper level.

8UGyGUCh.jpg

Upper yard supports going in:

LDxsRDph.jpg

5mSo77mh.jpg

t3RX6rqh.jpg

Upper yard Homasote sandwich going in over the framing

4pv9aIhh.jpg

L0NnTV5h.jpg

kwmz9vxh.jpg

The last stretch of subroadbed was completed around to the wall and connected to the upper yard, as well as cork going down.

PkDUGSIh.jpg

hPt6g8Rh.jpg

JH4hrQHh.jpg

All the mainline cork is down

BpYbz8Wh.jpg

3WS8AGEh.jpg

EukDDWJh.jpg

SeCywrPh.jpg

Added hardboard for backdrops and finished cork

Finally getting the odd day here and there to work on the layout. Mostly I've been working on the backdrops and fascia.

The strips in the background is to support a vinyl flashing that will curve around and is flexible vs. hardboard if installed in 2 ft wide pieces.

BmNaCTbh.jpg

XWZ2TKuh.jpg

3yBe0dqh.jpg

Added fascia:

KYPW05ph.jpg

mz2UZC0h.jpg

WhrD7i9h.jpg

Main yard going in.

First thing was to get the centerlines marked based on the geometry of the turnouts, which include a Walthers #6 double slip, a Walthers #8 curved and the rest are #6 Peco code 83 turnouts. Most of the track centers are 2 inches but a couple are a bit more. I plan to use some Walthers "background" industries for switching. Looks like an engine terminal will go against the wall. Due to the narrow space it limits where things can go. The only place where complete buildings will go for the most part will be in the helix area.

bx16Tc5h.jpg

I also extended benchwork at the other end of the yard 18 more inches. Helix will have to go in before that end of the yard benchwork goes further. Curved Peco #7 turnouts (60"R outer / 36"R inner) to maximize the capacity and length of the yard tracks.

uZCQXsvh.jpg

Got the first ladder laid. Had to totally eyeball it so I would know how to cut in the track between the turnouts.

dzEpFfih.jpg

Installed mostly Micro Engineering code 70 track to the main yard (tracks 3-6 from the right edge) and 2 rows of Shinohara code 70 track, all of it spiked using MicroEngineering spikes.

XtfY0twh.jpg

Last edited:
Have laid quite a bit of plaster gauze - into my 3rd 5lb roll now which I hope is enough but have a 4th roll if need be:

hnRRQmTh.jpg

TNAMgC5h.jpg

RlleksLh.jpg

Pretty soon it will be time to start buttering on plaster - I need to pick up some Quikcrete color to color the plaster.

Most recently have been putting in a thin layer of plaster over the plaster gauze with a bit of pigment to me it easier to see and smooth.

XP53LAuh.jpg

do6kJCYh.jpg

I've gone through about 25 or so pounds of plaster so far and am closed to 3/4 of the way done.

Back