I've accepted the biggest challenge (well one of em) in model railroading...

How to get a lot out of a 4x8 HO layout...and by God, I think I'm onto something. However, I know the wealth of knowledge that is possessed by many here runs deep and would just love some advice. But first, let me say that 4 x 8 is as big as I can go. Really that is even stretching it with the wife. If not for her I'd probably be doing a 4 X 12...but sometimes we have to be happy with what we can get.

So...

Here is the track plan. Click the link and scroll about half way or so down the page to see the layout plan.

http://www.freewebs.com/homodeltrains/beginnerlayout.htm

I plan to put a scenic divide down the middle of the layout and have a smaller scene toward the top end of the diagram. I think for a 4 x 8 this is about as good as it gets. Also I plan to have completely different scenery than what is planned in this layout...this is just the track plan I will use.

The scenic divide (with the right backdrops) will give the impression that the layout is larger than it is and the smaller scene...likely a wooded scene will give the 'going someplace' transition from one side to the other. Trains can be put together on either side of the divide and (with a little help from my imagination) provide a sense of staging.

Can any of the experts estimate for me how much track I'll need for this endeavor? Like down to the T...plan on using Atlas Code 100 (because I have older rolling stock with deeper flanges) and Peco Turnouts.

I really want to make the best 4 x 8 layout in the world!!! Thoughts, suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
The link worked OK for me (although I have been getting some odd things happening recently). Pity you are already commited rolling stock wise or I'd suggest "N" scale in your position. And if you have deep flanges see if the code 100 peco turnouts will work with the Atlas track. Track plan seems good. A scene divider should work OK with that plan. Good luck with the wife, you have my sympathies.

I think that looks like a good plan. And your scenic ideas sound good, too. Regarding track, are your rolling stock flanges too deep for Code 83, even?

As for knowing how much to get, I don't think there's any magic formula. Assuming you have a plan drawing to scale, (say, 1-inch to the foot), Count up the turnouts, measure and add up the total length of the straight segments of track, and for the curves, take a piece of wire that is easy to bend and will hold its shape. Use that to help measure the length of each curved segment. Place the wire on the curve, bending it to follow, then straighten the wire and use a ruler to figure the length of that curved segment.

From the DairyStatePhone

The best HO 4X8 layout in the world is 5X10. :)

But if you are committed to that size, there are a few things you might consider. From the "credit where it is due" department, that plan is Keith Thompson's Red Wing HO 4X8 from the December 1994 Model Railroader magazine. If you want an exact count of components, purchasing a copy of that magazine would be a big help to you. Railpub is one source, eBay another, or Kalmbach will sell you a photocopy of the how-to-build article by Pete Wicklund.

I've personally always felt that the odd switchback industry arrangement is not optimal, but to each his or her own. I've designed variations on the plan a couple of times for folks who were afraid to cut the plywood "sacred sheet".

Here's an HO 4X8 version that uses a crossing for the industry tracks, as would be more typical for a real railroad instead of the switchback.

ca_4x8.gif

It offers more industry switching and the added interest of an interchange track instead of the long lead to a small enginehouse. But it is designed for flextrack, so that may not be helpful if you are planning to use sectional.

Best of luck with your layout.

look up heart of georgia layout. "hog"

Its a 4x8 layout but the 4x8 sheet is cut in such a way that its a square. When you have a 4x8 layout you need to have access around the whole 4x8 so doing a layout like the hog is in the same footprint and the hog allows you to have longer mainline runs

This is what I found.
OP states "let me say that 4 x 8 is as big as I can go."

Heart of Georgia HOG Layout Rev 511.jpg
This looks to be 8' x 9' footprint.

Welp...after much study and research, I decided against the plan I originally was going with due to the fact that I didn't like the busyness of the plan...I've decided to go with another plan by Byron Henderson that has the potential for 5 (yes 5) scenes. I plan to not use the tunnel because on a 4 x 8 that is just wasted space. But instead of the tunnel on the right, I will form another backdrop along the left side of where the mountain would have been curving along the inside of the double tracked curve. With another divider curving off of the left side of the main divider hiding the branch line as it heads toward the upper portion of the track plan. This layout, for a 4 x 8, provides a lot of potential variety in such a small space. Its perfect for what I want to do.

falls_mill_ho_4x8.gif

I love this trackplan.​

The link worked OK for me (although I have been getting some odd things happening recently). Pity you are already commited rolling stock wise or I'd suggest "N" scale in your position. And if you have deep flanges see if the code 100 peco turnouts will work with the Atlas track. Track plan seems good. A scene divider should work OK with that plan. Good luck with the wife, you have my sympathies.

Yeah, I have 15 diesels and 125 freight cars, so I'd say I'm pretty committed to HO. Now...does anyone one know which Peco turnouts I SHOULD use with Atlas 100?

How good are your negotiating skills i.e. What can you bribe her with?

Not good. Like I said, I'm fortunate to be getting the space and more importantly, the money, to do this. :)

The footprint of a "4X8" is actually 8'X10', even with minimal 2-foot aisles on three sides. With aisles on at least some of the outside edges (as most would choose), the Heart of Georgia is probably a bit larger. In any case, there is no reason to limit oneself to a single sheet of plywood, whether cut up or pristine.

I have 4 kids...maybe one day when the move the hell out I can get super serious, but that's not an option right now. And besides, part of the selling point with a 4x8 is that it can also be easily stored away...if done right, one can make a 4 by 8 do quite a bit. Scenic Dividers are key, though. And even more so, if you can use more than just 1.

Tell your wife you will sell all your led zeppelin albums. LOL

NEVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

As far as visual breaks go, it is hard to beat a tunnel. It gets rid of the "roundy round" look and gives a visual break from one side to the other. The mountain gives you room for mines, logging camp, etc., so it really is not wasted space. Hardboard is probably your best bet for the divider.

To each their own but on a 4x8, i feel tunnels are a massive waste of both time (to build realistically) and space.

First the scenic divide gives the visual break already. That's sort of the point. In my case I will be using 3 scenic divides...so all the better.

Plus, if the tunnel isn't long enough (and on a 4x8 it likely wont be) to provide adequate staging...its not purposeful. Also scenic divides provide more than adequate staging. Building a train on one half of the board and going to the other side to show the train passing through or pulling in. Then go about switching the arriving train for example.

I think a even a 4x8 can offer a lot for the hobbyist if you maximize your space and do a good job of hiding parts of the layout from one another.

Thanks for the hardboard idea on the divide...anyone else have suggestions on that?

With a 4x8 layout you have maybe 400' of straight run, so anything you do is not going to be "realistic" in the slightest. That is just the way it is. I just recently dismantled my 4x8 trial layout and they can be fun, but that space is simply not representative of a real rail operation. It sounds to me like you are expecting your layout to be a bit more than is possible. You can have some continuous run fun with a 4x8, especially if you change the inner to outer loop turnouts to crossovers (or opposing turnouts). That will give you the option of reversing your train from each direction to the other. I had this on my 4x8, and it made things a bit more interesting than just being able to run around a circle in the same direction over and over. Just depends on what you are looking for in a layout.

P.S: I thought your layout had connected ends on the yards. You would need to connect the ends to get reverse option. I had yard going at one angle in the center at grade, and then the second reversing leg elevated above that.

When I spoke of realism in regards to the tunnel, I meant visual realism. Tunnels take more time to make look real...and not toyish or unsemetrical...

I'm expecting 4 divided scenes out of a 4 x 8 and its all planned...not sure how I am expecting more than is possible. If maybe you think I am expecting to have more FUN than you would have with it, that would make more sense and I probably will.

Can any of the experts estimate for me how much track I'll need for this endeavor? Like down to the T...plan on using Atlas Code 100 (because I have older rolling stock with deeper flanges) and Peco Turnouts.

I really want to make the best 4 x 8 layout in the world!!! Thoughts, suggestions?

That plan uses sectional track & they should be a standard 9" long, both straights & curves in HO scale. There are a few short ones but you can guess those by comparing them w/ the 9" ones. If you go w/ that plan put the runaround along the end of the yard vs in the yard.
But like others have said there are better plans out there. If you can, look at around the wall plans as there can be more switching than the plan you're considering here. Either way you can find a ton of plans thru a browser or Google search. Just put in whatever layout parameters you want in the search words. And don't be afraid to use flex track. All the rail joiners needed w/ sectional track will eventually cause electrical problems.

Welp...after much study and research, I decided against the plan I originally was going with ...I've decided to go with another plan
That is a nice plan. However, it does use a very common track configuration on the crossovers that has a few problems. I would modify the two crossovers to make the space between them longer (bigger passing siding) and no S-curves as thus:
ModifiedPlan.jpg

Back