Is WS ballast really nut shells?

I have read in various places on the internet including these forums that the WS ballast is actually ground up nut shells. Is this really true and if so, whats to stop a guy from buying a bag of the proper type of nuts and making it yourself? Sure it may be a lot of work but im thinking, enjoy nuts and a favorite beverage during the next ball game and toss the shells in a container instead of the garbage. Then take spice grinder or suitable method and crush them down to the size you need. I know its probably more trouble then its worth but it is just a thought. Comments?

i think the same that stops one from sifting his own ballast out of sand / gravel and such- time saving and less mess. but i see why not do same thing with nut shells...

They're ground up walnut shells. Peanut shells will not work the same, however nothing is to stop you from using your own nut shells.

I prefer AZ Rock & Mineral, or Model Mountaincraft ballast which is real stone.

WS ballast is primarily ground and dyed walnut shells. They use the walnut shells because they are cheap, being obtainable as refuse after the walnut meat is extracted. It also takes dyes well, since the shells are absorbent, but dry well. I have no idea how other shells work but walniut shells are extremely hard and will tear up a common kitchen blender in nothing flat. I think buying the WS ballast is a lot easier and, I suspect cheaper, than a DIY job.

i think the same that stops one from sifting his own ballast out of sand / gravel and such- time saving and less mess. but i see why not do same thing with nut shells...

That was my first thought as well. Its not like WS ballast is all that expensive per package and it does seem like a hassle to make it workable. Plus you have to clean all the shells so they can even be used in the first place.

It can be possibly be...

WS contain a nut shell. So, I don't think there's a problem on your “wild imagination.”

Let me know if you made it.

It can be possibly be...

WS contain a nut shell. So, I don't think there's a problem on your “wild imagination.”

Let me know if you made it.

Lol, I can probably tell you how thats going to go right now. Get in car, drive to hobby shop, grab WS ballast off shelf and go to register to pay, get back in car, drive home.

Or my alternate method. Go down to computer, log on internet, find good deal at online dealer, fill out order form, wait for product to show up at door.

:D

Ok seriously though. If there was a way to grind it easily enough and get to the appropiate size for HO and figuring out an easier way to dye it to the suitable color. Then I would probably be all over it. But I guess the saying goes. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Besides, its not like the WS packages are small for the price you pay, those packages seem to go a long ways. I was just thinking it would be nice to have some bulk laying around to save trips for more down the road.

Well you can always try it and use it for roadways, parking lots, talus, or ground cover depending of course what color and sizes you end up with.
I'd like to see how it would turn out!

You might check with an auto parts store or say Grainger. Walnut shells are used extensively in the auto restoration hobby to remove paint and light rust from metal. Not sure of the size of the media though, the blasting stuff might be too large.

You might check with an auto parts store or say Grainger. Walnut shells are used extensively in the auto restoration hobby to remove paint and light rust from metal. Not sure of the size of the media though, the blasting stuff might be too large.

Ive used it before as you could probably guess from my username. Its actually to small for HO. That stuff is more of the consistency of sand.

So its too small for rocks and too large for ballast. Hmmn. Oh Chevelle, my screen name on some other sites is 69supercj.

Back