Is the transition era the most popular

For me there is nothing in model railroading that can compare to a steam loco with the side rods and valve gear doing their thing as she pulls a string of transition era cars down the right of way! I simply can't see how anyone, even those who model 2017 wouldn't be inspired.
I think that almost everyone who goes to see a excursion run pulled by steam is inspired that way. Even more so if they actually chase the train a ways instead of just standing trackside and watching it go by.

Next week I am going to my first Northern Pacific Railway Historical Association (NPRHA) convention in Duluth Minnesota. This is a part of that history thing!
I really really wanted to go this year, but Duluth is so far away and I've already used up almost all my vacation and unpaid leave for this year. sigh.

I love steam up close and personal.

035.jpg 058.jpg

059.jpg 060.jpg

Oh yeah, where are the inspection dates?:confused:
They can be anywhere, but usually along the bottom most member of the car. Usually in smaller script than the cars normal reporting marks. The most common inspections marked on a car are for wheel bearings and brakes. If I recall off the top of my head properly the inspection intervals are dictated by AAR rule 88. Stenciling it on the side of the car was easier than looking it up on a paper all the time.

inspection markings.jpg

inspection end.png

However, rivet counting, anyone?
1 rivet, 2 rivets, 3 rivets, darn I have to start over.

They don't teach math like they used to!

Modeling the roaring 20's
President of the Lancaster Central Railroad
President of the Western Maryland Railway

As a reference, I was thinking that some might consider the 2nd Generation of Diesels started as early as the SD24, or GP20, and that the GP30, regardless of the other 2, was a 2nd Generation Diesel.

Back in the 80's I was looking at modeling the 1968-1978 period(nothing later than 78). This was in part given that the region I'm looking to model was primarily in the blue sea of Conrail, after 4/1/1976(or 77).

In the time since, I've moved and narrowed things some to say from 1975 or 76-1990 or so. I've always liked 'large power,' such as Trainmasters, and found things like AS-16s to be something that not every railroad had, but the Reading did, that I'd like to find a rationale to include some things like these.

I probably have the motive power so that I could move the period a few years either way, but my layout isn't really running at this point, or have much scenery done, so I may narrow my focus more (probably) or less, or change the date, again, in the future. At this point, in some ways, I might settle on 1988, 89, or 90, as the NYS&W was the directed operator of the D&H(excuse to run NYSW equipment), with the exception that I'd also like to be able to include SD70s the Susie-Q had in the 90's and have some Acela runs, + maybe some HHP-8s, and ALP-44s, in addition to E60s, E33s, AEM-7s, Metroliners (perhaps), and Silverliner II or IIIs, and several other earlier electrics.

My concept is some what freelanced, so as long at I can explain my variations from reality to some degree, I feel that I may be able to include some models, and perhaps exclude some others, as part of the trade off-given & druthers.

When I sit down and figure out the service dates of these and some other equipment/trainsets, I'll see what date(s) make sense, and that will be it. Worst comes to worse, I might period swap, given what I've got, if I can't make up my mind, and have enough equipment.

Back in the 80's a lot of better running locomotives and additional paint schemes were added to manufacturer's lines, like Reading AS-16s, and RS-3s. As the manufacturers improved their models in the late 80's and 90's, and continued to include more paint schemes, I acquired a lot of new locomotive models, as they came out, even with multiple numbers. Eventually, I had less money, and a lot of stuff all ready, so I cut back on 'weekend purchases.' With the prices now 3-4x times what I paid for some very well running models back in the late 80's and 90's, albeit, without DCC, sound, or details galore, I'm fine with what I have, as some of these models have been discontinued, and I like doing things like adding details to my models.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back