Is the full version of SCARM worth it?

catnippertom

That Oregon Guy
I'm thinking about shelling out the money for the full version of SCARM but it is a hefty price for it. To the people that do have the full version, is it worth it? Are there other programs out there that allows one to build a layout AND run trains on it like SCARM? Are there other programs that allows one to place infinite amounts of track and scenery for cheaper/free? Any tips regarding computer aided track planning/running would be great, thanks!

I've never heard anything bad about SCARM. When I was looking, I started with the free version of AnyRail, but that limits you to 50 pieces of track. I ended up buying the full version, and it was worth it. I played around with track plans for several months before landing on one I liked.

I know this may sound wasteful, but I found it extremely beneficial to print my layout in full size and lay it out on my table. Even after playing with plans on a computer screen for months, being able to see it in real size offered a perspective that really let me see areas for improvement.

I also used a full size printout to trace the centerline of the track into the foam board I was using.

I did my layout on scarm and have used it many times for the many updates. I bought the full version as I had too many track pieces. Worked fine for me.

I ended up getting the full version after I exceeded the limit of track pieces. There are still a lot of features that I don't use. I figured it was easier to fork out the money on SCARM rather than trying out another free program and learning all over.

Back