Is Lionel just Lionchief and Legacy now?

Improvable

In the 2003 catalog, the one I happen to own after all these years, one can find ready to run sets like the New York Central Flyer and Pennsylvania Flyer. These lacked features we associate with O scale today, such as Railsounds and TMCC, but came at a cheap $200 and were compatible with the CW transformer. Ironically the Lionchief transformer is a lot cheaper than the ZWs and CWs you see on sites like Trainworld, but the engines have rolling stock have gone up. It seems like there aren't any cheap alternatives anymore. Now, I won't deny the features included in the latest tech are awesome, but Legacy can set you back thousands of dollars, and without a cheap alternative, O scale is further out of reach. There is of course MTH Railking, and if you're lucky you can find some old Lionel tech in the wild, but it still doesn't compel me to explore beyond HO

"Is Lionel just LionChief and Legacy Now?" When it comes to O gauge/scale that's about it. But that is not a terrible thing.

LionChief is the evolution of Lionel's traditional scale ready to run train set. While they do come with a new DC transformer, they are still compatible with Lionel's CW-80, ZW-L transformers. They can even be operated on a TMCC or Legacy equipped layout!

As has always been, there are bargains to be had. Maybe now more than ever. With a quick search I found these.

PENNSYLVANIA FLYER LIONCHIEF® 0-8-0 FREIGHT SET WITH BLUETOOTH AND REMOTE​

$249.00/free shipping https://www.ebay.com/p/10052143897
$269.99/free shipping at Amazon or Walmart

1709954841328.png

UNION PACIFIC FLYER LIONCHIEF® LIONCHIEF® 0-8-0 FREIGHT SET WITH BLUETOOTH AND REMOTE​

$246.95/free shipping at Amazon or Walmart
1709954800501.png

Last edited:
There is plenty of used stuff to go around. Just find a loco train show. Lionel today has a good site and has viewable catalogs more recent than 2003.

There is plenty of used stuff to go around. Just find a loco train show.
Yes sir! There is more than enough to go around.

In addition to the train shows you can shop from a wide selection of all eras Prewar, Postwar, MPC, and Modern on eBay. All from the comfort of your home.

Well........... Jest for kicks & grins, I have a 3-rail switching layout, with a top-of-the-line, hi-tech, Lionel Legacy SW-8 switch engine that I purchased brand new a little over 2 or 3 years ago now. The cost of the thing wasn't that much more than a fully loaded, DCC & sound equipped HO or N-scale loco, in my opinion. And admittedly far more affordable than their legacy steam engines. Those things are getting crazy expensive - ouch! At any rate, mine's all powered by (drum roll, please)........... a used CW-40 transformer that I picked up cheap at a train show several years ago. And an inexpensive Lionel Universal Remote I ordered online a month or two after taking delivery on the loco. That's it!

Oh, and as far as rolling stock goes, I have no problems finding really nice used O-gauge stuff at train shows or on-line dealers for really good prices. Sometimes even really, REALLY good prices. ;)

Set to full throttle, my CW-40 provides the constant track power. Then the universal remote allows me to run the loco back and forth without going through the normal forward/neutral/reverse/neutral schtick of plain, conventional transformer control (which by the way, the switcher will also run on if you want it or need it to). But in addition to the bell and horn, the remote also allows me to activate crew talk, and operate the front and rear couplers. And all the while listening to the prime mover speed up and slow down as I run back & forth down the tracks performing my switching duties. Music to my ears! 🎶

If I wanted to do even more yet, I could download the Lionel Loco App on my smart phone (I think it's a free download), and have access to ALL the features of the loco. Such as changing horn and bell tones, adjusting the volume, adjusting the smoke output, assign cab numbers, etc. etc. etc. I really should download the app just to have it, but for right now, the CW-40/Universal Remote combo does enough to keep me happy. All at a price point that more than makes me smile. :)👍

Well........... Jest for kicks & grins, I have a 3-rail switching layout, with a top-of-the-line, hi-tech, Lionel Legacy SW-8 switch engine that I purchased brand new a little over 2 or 3 years ago now. The cost of the thing wasn't that much more than a fully loaded, DCC & sound equipped HO or N-scale loco, in my opinion. And admittedly far more affordable than their legacy steam engines. Those things are getting crazy expensive - ouch! At any rate, mine's all powered by (drum roll, please)........... a used CW-40 transformer that I picked up cheap at a train show several years ago. And an inexpensive Lionel Universal Remote I ordered online a month or two after taking delivery on the loco. That's it!

Oh, and as far as rolling stock goes, I have no problems finding really nice used O-gauge stuff at train shows or on-line dealers for really good prices. Sometimes even really, REALLY good prices. ;)

Set to full throttle, my CW-40 provides the constant track power. Then the universal remote allows me to run the loco back and forth without going through the normal forward/neutral/reverse/neutral schtick of plain, conventional transformer control (which by the way, the switcher will also run on if you want it or need it to). But in addition to the bell and horn, the remote also allows me to activate crew talk, and operate the front and rear couplers. And all the while listening to the prime mover speed up and slow down as I run back & forth down the tracks performing my switching duties. Music to my ears! 🎶

If I wanted to do even more yet, I could download the Lionel Loco App on my smart phone (I think it's a free download), and have access to ALL the features of the loco. Such as changing horn and bell tones, adjusting the volume, adjusting the smoke output, assign cab numbers, etc. etc. etc. I really should download the app just to have it, but for right now, the CW-40/Universal Remote combo does enough to keep me happy. All at a price point that more than makes me smile. :)👍
Paul, once again I have learned something from you, thank you! I did not know Lionel had an updated version of the Universal Remote that could control Legacy locomotives! I had read it was in the works. I have been out of touch; I need to catch up!

I can tell you the Apps are free. My grandson uses the LionChief Android version to operate our Bluetooth traditional scale Polar Express set. It's available for Apple too. One of the Apple versions allows you to update the universal remotes. The Android version may be able to do the updates now too.

Thanks again!

Back