Is it just me ??

Mingo Assist

re·sus·ci·tat·ing the EL
I dont mean to Bit*&* BUT IS IT JUST ME or do these model companies choose base plastics that are NO WHERE near the color of the true item ??

I bought a sand tower from IHC and decided to start to build when I noticed the plastic was BRIGHT canary yellow...

Maybe im dull but ive never seen a tow truck light bar bright yellow sand tower.
I know for a fact colored plastics are not that hard for manufactures to come by and prices are usually the same from the supplier..

I also realize we all enjoy the building and painting aspect but I feel at least companies should try and get the mold base right....
Is it just me ?

Mingo,

I share your frustration, but I've always repainted every bright-colored plastic model kit I've purchased. Whether the molded color is accurate or not, the bare plastic is too translucent - that makes certain items (such as construction equipment) appear toylike. First I spray a primer coat of reefer gray, then after that dries, as many coats as necessary of a 'faded' version of the original color.

This is one of the reasons I prefer kits instead of built-up models...

Yep, I've had the same reactions when opening a kit and saying "What the heck is that color?" European models seem to be the worst for that. Maybe weird colered plastic is sold at a discount over there. :)

There must be a method to their madness. Maybe they do it just so that the intrepid modeller will open it and go, "Yeuuchhh! I'm painting this styrene right away!" In a sense, it's a courtesy by way of inducement. :p

But if you keep the weird color as it comes from the box and put a light inside............ Well works for that Halloween layout at least.;) ;) :rolleyes:

IHC is not one of my favorite kit makers. From my perspective, the natural colors of a kit should be neutral or at least reasonably realistic. On the other hand, I'd never bet against someone posting a picture here of a bright yellow sanding tower they saw somewhere.

Joe

There must be a method to their madness. Maybe they do it just so that the intrepid modeller will open it and go, "Yeuuchhh! I'm painting this styrene right away!" In a sense, it's a courtesy by way of inducement. :p

Ha-Ha! You caught me. Several times I thought that I would get away with a spraying of Dullcote and let'r go, but after seeing the colors and hugging the toilet:eek: , I painted every little part. Always glad I did as it would make even the cheapest kit look good.;) :D

I assume the colors are to make the kits more appealing to the "toy trainset" users, and not "real" model railroaders like us!

What we used to do with model airplanes when the plastic was too traslucent, was to spray the inside if the piece( providing it will not be seen), with a flat grey or black paint. Spraying a fairly heavy coat like that will prevent light from coming through the outside coat of paint. Hope this helps.

Back