Is Computer Railroad Simulation Programs Really Model Railroading?

Not a good comparison IMO. Model railroading is NOT real railroading. Perhaps Trainz simulation is model railroading like X-Plane is flying RC planes, but the other comparison just doesn't cut it. Add to this the fact that flight simulators do nothing to have customizable content and you don't really have a close comparison at all. True, you can add your own content to flight simulator in some ways, but Trainz is built to be a modeling program from the start. For example, are you a model railroader if you paint a locomotive? Then why am I not a model railroader if I design a paint scheme and place it on a 3D model? This question relies on your definition of modeling materials and media. So is it really fair to exclude someone from being part of the hobby because they use a different material or media than you? I don't think the Lionel guys should be included as modelors because some of their stuff is out of scale (I don't really think this, but you can see the point?) It's fun to do, it takes creativity, and it is a legitimate form of the hobby for people who have $10 to spend on software but not thousands to spend on models. Why does everyone always try to take the fun out of it for guys who enjoy other things?

In X-plane we can race planes we design, down to airfoils, engine Hp etc, and put our own paint scheme on, or create a model that hasn't been done yet (An224, U2/TR1 etc) which use the mostly correct dynamics etc to simulate the situations including equipment failures etc. I can fly already constructed planes, and even be involved in dog fights, commercial aircraft carrying passengers and even design my own scenery and structures. Similar features are available in Trainz. Knocking Lionel or other manufacturers for accuracy is a waste, because at some level, ALL models will be incorrect. That doesn't negate the fact they are models. They are just not PHYSICAL models.

I think Trainz is a great tool for analyzing a proposed layout.

Back