Intermodal Items

Do any of you have an idea of where I could find ships, fork lifts, and a Gantry crane?

Almost all Hobby shop dealers on line or in the Train magazines advertise that they have ships, boats & cranes. Walthers carries a Gantry Crane. In Model RR'r magazine there's a co. that carries a complete line of HO scale ships & boats already built or in kit form. Walthers makes a Tug. I have 1 that I bought at a train show already built for $5.00. I also have about 5 forklifts in my warehouses that I got from Lifelike, Walthers & a few train shows.
Check out the Hobby Supply link on this forum.

Larry

I think most of what walthers makes for HO they got in N. I know Kato has also advertised some N scale intermodal cranes and lifts as well as all the containers and well cars. As for the ships though I think you'll probably have to resort to scratchbuilding one as I haven't heard of anyone making a model of one in either N or HO and I imagine if they do make one it's probably insanely expensive.

I believe you are referring to a gantry crane to unload container ships, which Walthers does not produce. AFAIK, the only available cranes of this type in N scale are available from Searails ( http://www.searails.com ). I believe these cranes are made from resin and have some etched brass parts. N scale container ships pop up on that popular auction site with relative frequency (also resin, I believe). I passed on both and opted to scratchbuild myself a crane and container ship, although both are still not finished.

Where could I get the materials to guy such a crane. The crane looks so good on the searails site. But its just way too expensive to buy. I have a 2.5 yr old and my wife would kill me.:D I'd rather spend that kind of money on a good camera lens :)

I believe you are referring to a gantry crane to unload container ships, which Walthers does not produce. AFAIK, the only available cranes of this type in N scale are available from Searails ( http://www.searails.com ). I believe these cranes are made from resin and have some etched brass parts. N scale container ships pop up on that popular auction site with relative frequency (also resin, I believe). I passed on both and opted to scratchbuild myself a crane and container ship, although both are still not finished.

Back