Intermodal Cars

Smoke

Southern Railway lives on
Hi,
I have been looking at intermodal and I have been dazed by all the options. I think I have settled on these cars from Walthers.
http://walthers.com/exec/productinfo/932-3942

Is there anything that I should know about these? I have seen some people put containers in these so I assume Walthers?? makes containers for these.

Thanks,
Andrew

Smoke, you should be able to stick any container from any manufacturer into it. As long as they use a bottom pin connecting style. Athearn does, with a small round pin. Walthers pins are slightly oval. A-line and Rail Power should also be bottom, if I remember correctly. Herpa uses a top pin style, but is easily converted with a drill and a small nub of styrene round stock.

Josh is right about the containers. As for the well car, it is a very nice model. The detail is alright, but very sturdy for transport. The car is cast metal, so the weight is pretty good for an empty car.

Any of Walthers more recent intermodal releases are great models to pick up. They are all cast metal, which allows you to run a "bare-table" train with no worries about weight.

I have some of these; I know I've put containers in them, but don't know the pedigree of those containers. They all seemed to fit. And, I don't have any Herpa containers.

Kennedy

Back