Intermodal cars

Smoke

Southern Railway lives on
I'm planning on making an Intermodel train and want your fellas opinions on who makes the best Intermodel cars for the money? I saw A-line husky stack car for $7.61 a piece. are they any good. I am going to be paintign these in a custom scheme so paint schemes are of no importance to me.

-dekruif

Hummm, thats a toughy. I own Walthers & Athearn cars, but I have a feeling the A-line cars might be slightly better.

My feeling is that Intermountain and A-Line are on top, with Walthers and Athearn next. You're probably going to end up with a mix, since each company makes cars that the others don't.

I own stuff from each company: Twin Stacks, Husky Stacks, Maxi-IIIs, 3 and 5 articulateds, 53' all-purpose, etc., etc.

Kennedy

My feeling is that Intermountain and A-Line are on top, with Walthers and Athearn next. You're probably going to end up with a mix, since each company makes cars that the others don't.

I own stuff from each company: Twin Stacks, Husky Stacks, Maxi-IIIs, 3 and 5 articulateds, 53' all-purpose, etc., etc.

Kennedy
If there so good why are they so much cheaper?? Is it because they are a kit???
:confused:

-dekruif

I have got a load of Athearn one's both Blue box Maxi 3 five car set's and the ready to run one's, there are some bargains on Ebay if you go for Athearn

Prices vary by alot, but detail is about equal on them. The reason prices vary is just a manufacturer thing.

Weight.

Also, I believe that the Walthers are the only models that are made of metal. This helps a lot with the weight issue if you want to make the cars weigh to the NMRA Standards. The A Line and Athearns (which I think are made of plastic), unless weight can be added to a small nook and crany (intermodel cars don't offer too many hidden places to add weight) the majority of the weight has to be obtained from the containers placed in the well car. Just a thought.:)

If you're talking about the Athearns, then yup, they're pretty much a kit. Not to mention the volume production of the older cars; I got some as blue boxes.

Intermountain and A-Line are the most expensive of the lot, though the metal Walthers All-purpose cars are expensive as well.

Kennedy

Back