Interlocking towers

I'm not the best historian when it comes to steam, but it seems that everything I've read about the railroads in my area used Interlocking towers when there were many switches to control from one central building - either for convenience or for safety reasons. Typical locations I've seen have been for yard operations or where two or more railroad lines come together in a complex way. Early interlocking towers used a system of levers and pushrods to control the direction of the switches, which were thrown according to timetables or movements.

Here is a link to Long Island RR interlocking towers:
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirr towers/lirrtowers.htm

Where a branch line meets a mainline, is a tower required?

No. It depends on variables such as traffic density, operating rules in effect, and company operating practices. It also depends on the era. Towers were more common during the steam era, but began to disappear in the 1930s as reliable CTC installations became more common.

In many instances, a junction between a branchline and a main line was simply a switch and perhaps a crossover, plus a wayside telephone or some other means of communications between the crew wanting to come off the branch and a dispatcher or operator at a distant location.

A train needs authority to operate on any given section of track, and some means must exist to authorize movement. That could be a timetable special instruction, a signal indication or authority received by radio or telephone. Today it could be a fax transmission to a fax receiver on a locomotive.

If you want to include a tower at your "Junction" by all means include it, but it is not necessary in all cases.

Joe

Thank you both.

Just one less structure to worry about on the two portable modules I'm planning.

I could consider having an old derelict tower. I model 1956. Or perhaps its foundation? But I don't know if it would be still around after 20 some years.

In the northeast, some of these still are in existence - I ride the Northeast Corridor twice a week and there are still a few former PRR interlocking towers standing.

Sounds like Joe understands the steam era very well, too!

Some interlocking towers are still around in my area - Tower 55 comes to mind - but many others have been torn down or even relocated. Evidence of a foundation is common even today in some locations, so if you want to go that route, I'm sure it's plausible. Maybe once you've filled out the layout, this might be a good location to revisit and build that derelict tower.

In the northeast, some of these still are in existence - I ride the Northeast Corridor twice a week and there are still a few former PRR interlocking towers standing.

He sure does.

Some interlocking towers are still around in my area - Tower 55 comes to mind - but many others have been torn down or even relocated. Evidence of a foundation is common even today in some locations, so if you want to go that route, I'm sure it's plausible. Maybe once you've filled out the layout, this might be a good location to revisit and build that derelict tower.

Were they relocated for preservation/historical reasons?

Thank you both.

Just one less structure to worry about on the two portable modules I'm planning.

I could consider having an old derelict tower. I model 1956. Or perhaps its foundation? But I don't know if it would be still around after 20 some years.

Try this link, (if it works), for an example. http://photos.wikimapia.org/p/00/00/87/80/58_big.jpg There was an interlocking tower at Landlith, in Wilmington DE, on the PRR until the electrification of what is now called the NEC during the 1930s. CTC was installed and control of the interlocking was moved to Wilmington Tower, which was located in the station building at Wilmington, several miles away. The upper portion that housed the levers, and model board and operator was demolished, but the bottom level, which housed circuits and relays remained in service through into the current millennium.

The generic Atlas Interlocking tower kit can be used to create a similar remnant structure at your junction. It could be an interesting project.

Joe

Some of these towers still function as towers also. Union and Dock come to mind, as well as Overbrook, Paoli, Thorn, Cork and State.
Some might have been replaced by now, I've been away for a few years, but change happens slowly on the Railroad.

:D:D:D That's because most of what I encountered when I began my railroad career in 1967 remained from the steam era. The infrastructure was basically unchanged, the water plugs, coaling towers and roundhouse remained. Everything was paved with cinders and ash from coal, and most of all the majority of engineers I worked with, spent time working as steam firemen and engineers. Steam had ended 10 years before, but the memories were still fresh in many minds. Even the GG1s dated to the 1930s and 1940s, well within the late pre-transition era. I guess I'm showing my age :D:D:D.

Were they relocated for preservation/historical reasons?

Yes. In fact, one of the towers moved pretty close to me. The Sherman, TX tower got a makeover to match the other structures in Grapevine, TX and is now located across the street from the depot. It's not ideal, from a preservationist standpoint, but the building survives.

I model the Burlington Route in the mid-West in the 1940' - '50's. I have a branch line that joins the main at a certain point. I have an interlocking tower there...to hide a switch machine mounted on the top of the layout (the framework of the layout makes it impossible to mount the twin-coil below ground). In other words, you can do just about whatever you want, and probably justify it by whatever your railroad might have done on a general or isolated basis.

Since your modeling the 50's. You can get away with anything you want since there was still a lot of operating towers back then. Heck, you could get away with it pretty much into the late 80's/early 90's if you wanted. Interlocking towers are my favorite railroad structures.

Since your modeling the 50's. You can get away with anything you want since there was still a lot of operating towers back then. Heck, you could get away with it pretty much into the late 80's/early 90's if you wanted. Interlocking towers are my favorite railroad structures.

I just almost finished a tower and placed it at a junction, where I had no intention of placing a tower when I planned my layout. All that remains, is an interior, of sorts, so that the tower will not look empty. [It is in the foreground].

I just almost finished a tower and placed it at a junction, where I had no intention of placing a tower when I planned my layout. All that remains, is an interior, of sorts, so that the tower will not look empty. [It is in the foreground].

If anyone is ever in Dallas, Texas and goes to the JFK/Book Depository museum there it a Santa FE tower in the parking lot next door. There is a large junction of allot of tracks there also. I didn't see anyone in the tower operating it when I was there or I would have tried to go up inside. It is the same tower that Walthers sells. I saw the tower and had to get one for my layout at the yard entrance.

Thanks for all the info.

I think I might try to make this tower I have from my old layout more older looking. Will have to do some research on how to weather the paint and make the roof look more old.

Back