insulating turnouts

x-craft

Hello, I'm new to model Railroading aside from playing with toys when I was a kid and have a question here. I'm running DCC and am working on getting my track layed out, with that nearly done I'm getting close to wiring and have run into a question. Probably a stupid one but one that I can't seem to find and answer for.

Do Insulated Atlas code 80 turnouts need to be isolated from the rest of the track? I've found countless instructions on how to wire a track and every one of them seems to show each leg of the turn out being isolated from the rest of the track to prevent shorts. One thing that doesn't make sense is that if all these different feeders that are powering the track all run off the same buss won't a short still take down everything.

I plan to run a main buss line using 12ga and run feeder drops every 3-4ft using 20ga wire tied into the main buss probably using terminal strips unless I cheap out and just decide to solder it all together instead.

Any help would be appreciated here, thanks in advance and I look forward to getting in knee deep in this hobby.

From the code 80 designation I'm guessing N scale. Either way the typical Atlas turnout with the insulated frog should be okay DCC wise. What the references you probably found are talking about is with all-rail turnouts where the frog is part of the point rails with no gap. Unless properly isolated from the rest of the layout you'll run into problems, and not just on a DCC system. Feed power into the frog end of an all-rail turnout that isn't isolated and you'll have a short.

The other problem with making a turnout DCC friendly is shorting of the wheels between the point and stock rails with metal wheelsets. Proper gapping here helps.

Back