In-ko-pah RR - New digital camera pics

I got my first digital camera as a Christmas present. It's a Canon SD880 IS, which just arrived on Monday. I'm still figuring out how all the features work, but here are a few quick shots of the layout. These have all been reduced in size and "optimized for the web" using Photoshop:

wIMG_0006.jpg

wIMG_0003.jpg

wIMG_0004.jpg

This next one shows my newest addition to the layout, a dilapidated blacksmith's shop at the abandoned mine. All the "wood" is actually styrene.

wIMG_0011.jpg

The next shot shows the powder magazine at the Cliffside Mine:

wIMG_0016.jpg

The small size of the camera lets me get in a lot closer, for shots like this one looking across the wooden walkways on the Cliffside Mine:

wIMG_0019.jpg

Great photos!

Ray, those pictures are awesome. I'd hate to see what you can do when you finally figure out how to use the camera! :D

do not under any circumstances let learning about that camera distract you from your layout skills. This is some of the best work I've ever seen.

Found out today that there was a drainage problem in one of my tunnels. Train went in, didn't come out. Pulled off the access panel, discovered that water and mud had collected in the middle of tunnel. I had to scoop a lot of muck out from under the track and replaced it with some patio tiles and cement. I got most of the repairs done today, will finish tomorrow.

Ray, that's one of the problems with outdoor layouts, I guess. You run into the same civil engineering problems as the big boys. Any idea what caused the blockage?

Yep. It's actually kind of interesting to have these real world issues.

In this case, it appears to be a two-fold problem. Water is seeping in through the uphill side of the tunnel. The track is on a curve, and a grade, going through the tunnel. I ended up with a slight dip in the middle, which allowed water to accumulate. Filling in the dip with cement should help with the drainage.

I'm not sure about the seepage issue at this point. I'm kind of surprised at how much there is, since we haven't had any rain in a couple weeks. I _think_ that a lot of it is due to water collecting in the hollow cement blocks that form the sides of the tunnel. These were filled with dirt and gravel during construction. The access panel rests on the top of the tunnel walls, and rainwater likely was pouring in through the gap. I plugged the top of the wall with cement today, hopefully that will prevent water getting into the wall in the future.

The repairs I've made are kind of patchwork, but I think they'll be sufficient. If not, I'll have to undo it and make much more extensive repair.

Things are looking pretty good in the tunnel. I built up a small cement berm between the track and the tunnel wall. The seepage is now running out to the end of the tunnel, and the track is no longer sitting in a puddle.

I went out this morning and there's more water than ever coming out of the tunnel -- and more seeping out of the steps and hill. Obviously, this isn't natural and it's not a drainage problem. Turns out the neighbor recently installed a sprinkler system at the top of the hill just on the other side of the fence, and the pipe's leaking underground! If I had known there were pipes up there I would have suspected that from the beginning.

Aha! The old leaking pipe problem. Kind of like real railroads when they had to deal with seasonal springs and diverting water from them when they were flowing. Is he going to dig up the pipe and fix it or will you have to? I imagine your neighbor's a mite confused about his sprinkler system flooding a railroad. :)

Sounds like your neighbor has a main line leak or simple valve gasket....Easy and cheap fix shouldn't be hard to find and repair! looking at 30min's top to fix............Man money to be and it's on the other side of the country!

Back