I'm the new guy. Please be gentle.

1badgmc

Name's Jason. I'm 33 and am primarily a car guy. I eat, sleep and breathe cars (though I'm not much of a mechanic). At the same time, I've always had a huge love for trains, naturally. I had a pretty decent collection of HO gear that I used to run years ago. When I was a kid, I set up a layout that ran from my bedroom, all the way down the hall, into the living room and back again. Probably a good 150' of track. Drove the cats nuts! Neither I or my parents have gotten rid of any of my trains, but it's all been packed up and boxed up and moved around so that I don't know where a lot of it is anymore, but it's still around somewhere.

My favorite locos were my UP SD-40-2 and especially my DD40AX Centennial. My dad bought me a GS-4 4-8-4 in the Freedom Train colors about 2 years ago, but I have yet to even put its wheels on a piece of track, much less get the chance to run the sucker.

It's probably been close to 20 years since I've had my trains set up and even longer since I last purchased any trains, but a thread on one of my automotive forums has really sparked an idea that I've always had, but would really like to try and work on now.

I'm wanting to build a shelf layout around the top of my living room and dining room. Budget is extremely tight, so I'm sure it'll be a long process. But trains and equipment have come a long way since I last ran anything that I have some catching up to do. Knowledge is free, so I figured I'd join up here and start reading and learning. I'm sure I'll be doing much more reading than posting, but if I do post a stupid question, please don't kill me. I'm not stupid. Just uninformed at the moment. :)

So, hello everyone. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.

It's only natural that you have car guys and train guys in the same room. :)

I just have to balance the little bit of spare cash I have between the big toys and the little toys. Then there's my photography habit and my DVD addiction and...

Crap! I'm screwed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jason, :)

I know exactly what you mean...
I'm primarily a motorcycle guy who is also into bicycles and trains. If your budget is tight, the cheapest approach is to try to recover your old stuff, get it running again, and then go from there You'll gets lots of help from the good folk here who are way more experienced than I am.

Greg

Welcome!
I was a Ford guy until my dealer sold me a Dodge.
However my downfall isn't cars or motorcycles, it's 1:1 scale trains.
So where are you?

If your budget is tight, the cheapest approach is to try to recover your old stuff, get it running again, and then go from there

That's definitely the plan. I have a lot of locos and rolling stock that I dream of having someday, but I'm really not planning to buy much of anything new there for a while. What I'm mostly in need of is track right now.

Are you implying something other than trains have wheels!!

I seem to have expanded my vehilce prototypes lately.
'81 Vette, '89 Chevy pickup, '99 Dodge van, '03 Honda VTX1800 motorcycle, '04 Chev Impala and '08 Chev Equinox. I need to sell several, anyone interested?

As far as the questions, ignorance is easily cured, stupid can be fatal.

Welcome aboard Jason,
Very friendly place this..I'm an old Harley guy, restored many an oldie in my time...can't find the suckers anymore.
Not to worry, this will be almost as expensive a hobby, LOL
Best.
Dick

Are you implying something other than trains have wheels!!

I seem to have expanded my vehilce prototypes lately.
'81 Vette, '89 Chevy pickup, '99 Dodge van, '03 Honda VTX1800 motorcycle, '04 Chev Impala and '08 Chev Equinox. I need to sell several, anyone interested?

I need fullsize Chevy pickups ('80s square bodies and '88-'98 bodystyles preferred. From there I can move to others, but it just wouldn't be me without some trucks.

I was just a Hobby Lobby and they've got a few cool HO cars and trucks I was looking at. I also liked the HO Thomas the Tank Engine sets they had on clearance.

As far as the questions, ignorance is easily cured, stupid can be fatal.

So true.

Not to worry, this will be almost as expensive a hobby, LOL

Yeah, just what I need. :eek:

Name's Jason. I'm 33 and am primarily a car guy. I eat, sleep and breathe cars (though I'm not much of a mechanic). At the same time, I've always had a huge love for trains, naturally. I had a pretty decent collection of HO gear that I used to run years ago. When I was a kid, I set up a layout that ran from my bedroom, all the way down the hall, into the living room and back again. Probably a good 150' of track. Drove the cats nuts! Neither I or my parents have gotten rid of any of my trains, but it's all been packed up and boxed up and moved around so that I don't know where a lot of it is anymore, but it's still around somewhere.

My favorite locos were my UP SD-40-2 and especially my DD40AX Centennial. My dad bought me a GS-4 4-8-4 in the Freedom Train colors about 2 years ago, but I have yet to even put its wheels on a piece of track, much less get the chance to run the sucker.

It's probably been close to 20 years since I've had my trains set up and even longer since I last purchased any trains, but a thread on one of my automotive forums has really sparked an idea that I've always had, but would really like to try and work on now.

I'm wanting to build a shelf layout around the top of my living room and dining room. Budget is extremely tight, so I'm sure it'll be a long process. But trains and equipment have come a long way since I last ran anything that I have some catching up to do. Knowledge is free, so I figured I'd join up here and start reading and learning. I'm sure I'll be doing much more reading than posting, but if I do post a stupid question, please don't kill me. I'm not stupid. Just uninformed at the moment. :)

So, hello everyone. :cool:

LOL I think we all started there at one time or another. Phil

Back