I'm at a design block

gator do 65

I've got an area of 6'x16'( with possibility 0f 7' on the right side) in my dining room i'm looking for a layout in HO SCALE that has logging, coal, freight and 85' passenger excursion train double main w/elevation change and sidings for said industries located on the front side! Can someone please help with a possible track plan? with this space I expect a duck under layout due to the use of three walls. I would like a kidney bean shape on the front edge for walkway issues when sitting in the Engineers seat! I've tried scarm but cant use it with apple products...Damn! I realized I left out some details... like a crossover( a must), bridges and tunnel's etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well first thing is you need to draw out the room with dimensions, and include windows, doors, etc.

I also model modern day steam passenger excursion trains. You're gonna need at least minimum of 32" radius curves. With elevations that will allow track passing over another track, the 16 ft length could be an issue. You will have a lot of track that is on an elevation. Do not go over a 2% grade. And a double mainline. That sure is a lot to fit in that space.

I've got an area of 6'x16'( with possibility 0f 7' on the right side) in my dining room i'm looking for a layout in HO SCALE that has logging, coal, freight and 85' passenger excursion train double main w/elevation change and sidings for said industries located on the front side! Can someone please help with a possible track plan? with this space I expect a duck under layout due to the use of three walls. I would like a kidney bean shape on the front edge for walkway issues when sitting in the Engineers seat! . like a crossover( a must), bridges and tunnel's etc.
This sounds like a very common set of requirements from newbies that I truly don't understand. A logging railroad is a totally different beast than a normal railroad and usually far away from double track mainlines. A lumber yard industry would be a different story.

This sort of sounds like Tony's requirements and is a whole lot to fit into that little space. Are you thinking an area that size with pop outs or are you thinking an around the room donut? Sounds like you mostly want to just watch the trains run around.

Go ahead and put down the track you want to see trains run on and 'squeeze' the buildings and industries in by not including the entire set up of any particular one but just a feature that interacts with the railroad, leave the rest to the imagination or just hint at them with false fronts and 'half' buildings along the edges. DC or DCC a 'double main' (I'm currently running 4!) is a real blast and allows 'racing' your locos at any speed! Seeing one pass another in the same direction or 'oncoming' on the adjacent track pleases my simple mind. They don't NEED a reason to go around and around! Running those 85's will force you to either modify them and thus be 'non proto' (EEEK!) to take smaller curves or consign them to the 'mains' and have tighter curves in the 'industrial interior'. I'm doing a combination of both, I've modified my DD40AX to take 15's! and my 85 footers will soon follow but the body work will be....unique. LOL! The Steamers will not be 'chopped up', those 8 and 10 wheel set ups on them precludes anything tighter than 24's for most of them anyhoo.

Good Luck and POST those pics!!! Construction, favorite locos and rolling stock, it's ALL good!

New Guy,
You pretty much summed it up, I'm looking to imply those industries exist somewhere by modeling the destination! Yes I'm more than happy sitting back and watching with some occasional interaction when warranted, I to have a simple mind! With that being said I realize that I might be biting off more than the area can handle.

Iron Horseman,
I did mis-state logging for lumber as I only have the room for the destinations which will ultimately be static display's(no plans for switching) and train parking when not in use. I'm running DCC and would like trains running in opposite directions hence the double main and crossover. As for pop outs or doughnut? I would prefer pop outs (the current layout is one big kidney bean) but don't see a way to keep a decent radius without crowding the two ends in the middle if that makes sense? This is where my problem starts, I just can't see a way to use the area I have more efficiently!

How about something like this. You can modify it of course to add your industries. But it could kickstart your design.

track-plans-model-railway.jpg

Motley,
I really like this! Couple Questions 1) is that a reverse loop on the lower track? 2) what is the elevation change? 3) what is the min./max radius?

Thanks, Paul

I really like this! Couple Questions 1) is that a reverse loop on the lower track? 2) what is the elevation change? 3) what is the min./max radius?
1). The short answer is, "yes". The long answer is that only the track marked in red (below) is what causes it to be a reverse loop. Take out that section and you have a simple 180 degree folded dog bone.
gatordo65.jpg
3). If the ruled markings are correct the min radius looks to be about 24" to me.

Also if you really like that one, what about removing the branch and stretching the Atlas #23 out to a 6'x16'. That would really remove the spaghetti look and be much more like a double track main line. The Atlas is a 540 degree folded dog bone.
http://www.atlasrr.com/Code100web/pages/10023.htm

will ultimately be static display's(no plans for switching)
In that case why the requirement to have them up against the front edge? I think some scenery industries in the rear corners and inside rear loops could look really good, once again, like where Tony's mine is going on his.

Yes Iron Horseman was correct. The lower track is a reverse loop.

The elevated track (loop on the right) has room for 2% grade with 6" clearance over the lower tracks.

Radius of the left loop is 34" and radius on right loop is 26". But there's room there to expand the right loop to 30" radius. Which should be fine for passenger trains.

I like it because it has plenty of room for scenery and industries.

The important thing is. Do you have access to all four corners on the outside of this 16' x 7' space? If yes then you're good. Otherwise you'll have to create some access holes in the middle there.

Iron Horseman,
My first thoughts regarding the layout was to model or focus on the destination thus bringing those items to the front coupled with manual turnouts just made sense!

Motley,
I don't have access to the outside edge's, but have no problem ducking... What you came up with really hit on what I was looking for elevation, tunnel's, bridge's etc. That and my current bench work will work without a lot of changes!

My current layout is just a boring double doughnut, sorry about the crappy drawing and blurry picture (parkinsons is a bitch) but you can see how motley's idea will flow very well with the desert, forrest, industry/town theme!

Attachments

• KIMG0054.jpg
    KIMG0054.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 150
Oh I see now. Didn't realize you already had a layout. So you already know the access issues you have and are ok with them.

Well then? Let's get er done! Anxious to see how this works out.

Oh I see now. Didn't realize you already had a layout. So you already know the access issues you have and are ok with them.

Well then? Let's get er done! Anxious to see how this works out.

Me to! This will be the third and final layout (cough)! It'll take about a year before it's done, depending on the weather and wife! Rain and snow days equal work on the RR, "honey do's" on the other hand....

Please, please bring on the El Nino!

Does anyone see a problem with this plan? Any reverse loops or wiring nightmares using DCC? Black is added track and red is omitted track.

Attachments

• track-plans-model-railway.jpg
    track-plans-model-railway.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 250
Does anyone see a problem with this plan? Any reverse loops.
Well yeah. The new black "X" re-introduces the reversing loop that removing that "Y" section in red removed.

Any time there is a cross from one side of a loop to the other side of the loop connecting in the opposite direction creates a reversing loop. It doesn't matter if the "other side" of the loop is across the layout or parallel and 2" away.

Iron Horseman,
I'm just checking to make sure I'm not missing something that just won't work. In this configuration it would require two auto reverse modules correct?

My goal is to have access to the passenger/industry tracks from both directions and give the longest possible routing options between stops! The more I look I do see some other minor tweaks such as removing the two spur tracks on the inside left and just have a siding for the Pass. station this will separate the town and the as yet to be named Top Secret, Highly Toxic and Extremely Explosive Industry across the tracks and down the road...

Will it be a nuclear facility? LOL Have a below ground missle silo! Oh nice!

Ya the plan looks good to me.

Back