IHC Passenger Car Interiors

Rotorranch

MRR Refugee
I have several IHC Smooth Side passenger cars. I bought an 8 pack of interiors to go in them a few years ago. I found them today looking for something else, ( ROFL ) and decided to start assembling them.

I decided I'd start with something simple like the baggage car. I grab the car and interior, and head to the workbench.

The first thing I found is the interior is too long for the baggage car I have. :confused: So I check The Kid's IHC passenger cars, and his baggage car is a good bit longer than mine. The interior will fit his Chessie, but not my GN baggage car!

Second...I have no idea how to get the car apart! :eek:

How do you get the darn things apart? Looking at it, there are 6 clear plastic tabs on the underframe. They look like they are for the windows. Do they also hold the roof on?

Rotor

How do you get the darn things apart? Looking at it, there are 6 clear plastic tabs on the underframe. They look like they are for the windows. Do they also hold the roof on?
Kind of thought I went through the same predicament in the past. One of mine states Riva Rossi some unmarked but basically all the same.
I'm not positive (can't remember) if the windows are attached to the roof or are actually part of the roof plastic. In any case the tabs are to be released in pairs and a bit of a push to lift the roof away from the sides.(There will be very little movement on the first set, a tooth pic or pin between the roof and sides helps) (you need something to hold the car or three hands for the task) Make sure the clips do not re engage before starting on the next set. It gets easier as you go along unless some jackass glued the roof to the sides.
Anyway thats how mine go together.
Cheers Willis

Willis has it right. The roof and window glass are all one piece. You wiggle the plastic tabs while using a toothpick to get the roof started off. You'll break a few tabs along the way but there will still be enough to hold the car together.

IHC made two lengths of baggage cars, one 72' and one 80's Sounds like you have an 80' interior and and a 72' car. You can trim down the interior on both ends and make it fit - baggage cars don't have a lot of interior detail anyway.

Thanks guys! I got the roof off with no damage.

I guess The Kid's baggage car will get the interior, since it fits his car. Anyone know what interior will fit the short IHC baggage car?

I think mine will just get lead. As mentioned, there's not much inside, and virtually no windows to see in.

Thanks!

Rotor

Rotor, weight is way more important than interior detail, especially for IHC/AHM cars, which will derail endlessly if they are too light. I'd vote for the lead and leave the interiors to where they can be seen.

As somebody else said, there are tabs on the underside, which hold the glass and roof combo to the rest of the body. If it's really tight, I sometimes clip them off. At minimum, I shave down the tabs a bit so they're not so hard to disengage.

As far as interiors, there are some for Heavyweights, and some for the smoothsides. I have piles of each for all my IHC cars, and install them when I can. I also have a pile of Preiser figures to glue in place while everything is open.

As far as weight is concerned, I put them wherever I can. If there's a molded gap on the floor (like where they mold the battery box or A/C mechanism), I'll put some BBs or shot in them. Another place I've put weight is barrel-shaped fishing weights in the bathrooms. You normally can't see into that area anyway, so it's a nice place to add some hidden weight. A bit high on the CoG, but you take what you can get....

:D

Kennedy

are these interior pieces all molded as one? i want to update the interior that i have for my observation but not sure on what route to take.

are these interior pieces all molded as one? i want to update the interior that i have for my observation but not sure on what route to take.

No, they are not one piece!

All the walls, bulkheads, etc, are seperate pieces that have to be glued together, and painted. Looks like about 30-40 pieces for most of the kits.

Rotor

The IHC ones are not one-piece, there are parts that need to be glued in. The quantity depends on what kind of interior it is. A baggage car is minimal, maybe a table, couple-three pieces for a storage locker, couple-three pieces to enclose the toilet, and bulkheads on each end.

The sleepers, those have a lot of parts, for all the compartments as well as the beds. Some beds can be modeled in the up or down position. The instructions are OK, but you might have to test-fit those that use common walls. Usually, those are the compartments, hallways, lockers, bathrooms, parlor setups. Also, all the toilet sinks and such are separate as well.

The diner is somewhere in between; the last one I did had a lot of tables and such. Painted them white, for the tablecloth.

Kennedy

Back