Idiots anonymous?

Rico

BN Modeller
Hi, my name is Rick and I’m an idiot. (Everybody: Hi Rick)

So I’m revamping/redesigning the HO layout and it’s now time to lay down some cork roadbed. This is my favourite part of the hobby next to running, there’s just something about the smell and look of it.
The problem is, or was, cork is still in short supply most places including all the shops I deal with both here and abroad. I did find some down south but exchange and shipping soon put that prospect in the crapper.

Finally after searching high and low I found a small shop in Montreal Quebec that had thirteen pieces and at a great price to boot. Awesome!
I put ten in my “shopping cart”, hit the buy now button, and entered my payment. Cool.
I soon received a message that the post office wanted a little more as it didn’t fit in the flat rate category. No worries, here’s your money.

Now I should mention here that years ago I actually used to haul mail from Winnipeg MB east to Montreal, then west out to Vancouver BC, then back to Montreal and return to Winnipeg. I’d do two trips then get one off and it only took two days from Montreal to home.
My parcel just took close to a week. Yikes, they must have gone back to using pack mules!

So finally I get my package at the post office, WOOHOO!
I rush home, rip open the tube and immediately get to work gluing it down.
Then it hits. I needed twelve pieces… ARGH! Lesson learned?
”It is better to have and not need than to need and not have.”
Thanx for staying with me so far 'cause it doesn’t end here.

Today on a whim I called a toy store in Winnipeg and it turns out they have cases of it in stock.
Wait what?!?!
I'm now going in Tuesday and I think I’ll buy a dozen, just because. 😜 😜

Anyone else have a similar tale to tell?

And there's always the time you bought this kit because it would look right for the time period you were modelling and then there wasn't enough space so you put it away in a box for later, and now, 3 layouts and 10 years later it's still in it's box because you forgot about it and bought another one, but that's OK because now you have spares for it. :D

And there's always the time you bought this kit because it would look right for the time period you were modelling and then there wasn't enough space so you put it away in a box for later, and now, 3 layouts and 10 years later it's still in it's box because you forgot about it and bought another one, but that's OK because now you have spares for it. :D
You must of been in my basement and seen my kit shelf!

Yea! that's something I've done numerous time, and will probably again!

Back