Identifying locos for DCC

Seems that there is more than one decoder for this engine, depending on what run the engine was and whether it was a 3 pole or 5 pole or something or other per the link to the MRR forum page posted above. When I get ready to order decoders for my other engines, I'll contact Digitrax about this engine and see what they say to use.

Tony, with that loco, and probably others too, because it has the bulbs or LED's mounted onto the board, which would match up with already mounted light tubes in the model's shell, it (they) require a direct replacement that has those lights included on the board to be an easy swap. Unless another manufacturer has made the identical loco, in the same road number and paint scheme, I think we have positively identified it as being an Athearn N scale, with the announcement date of July 2004, BNSF SD75M, road number 8213 (Athearn never repeat road numbers in later releases) fitted with a Mashima brand motor. If Digitrax are supplied with all those facts, with a picture (if possible) of the engine and the motor installation, they should be able to supply the exact DCC board required, with instructions on how to fit.

I must have missed where Paul stated the loco is N scale. I ass-u-me(d) it was HO, Guess it may not matter.

Pics of the mystery loco. I'm guessing Atlas on this, but I have no way of knowing for sure.
That is a split frame design (very typical of Bachmann, but that doesn't mean it is Bachmann). Split frame means each of the halves of the frame is hot to the rail and probably hot to the motor. It is not DCC ready. It can be converted though. The hardest part of converting it to DCC will be the isolation of the motor. I am assuming the motor leads contact the board under those two larger tabs on either side about the center.

That is a split frame design (very typical of Bachmann, but that doesn't mean it is Bachmann). Split frame means each of the halves of the frame is hot to the rail and probably hot to the motor. It is not DCC ready. It can be converted though. The hardest part of converting it to DCC will be the isolation of the motor. I am assuming the motor leads contact the board under those two larger tabs on either side about the center.

http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH10713

Per Tootnkumin: http://www.athearn.com/Products/Defa...rodID=ATH10713

It does look Bachmann-ish, split frame and all. I will have to back away from attempting to help with this, as I have no idea who manufactured it. Good luck, Paul. As you can see, sometimes what looks like a great deal turns out to not be so great.

Although I have installed DCC in many different manufacturer's products (Life Like Proto 2000, Stewart, Atlas, Bachmann, Athearn) when the diesels where purchased, they came in their manufacturer's boxes, so the manufacturer's identification was known.

Sorry I can't be of better help!

Last edited by a moderator:
hair-pulling_3261885k.jpg

Per Tootnkumin: http://www.athearn.com/Products/Defa...rodID=ATH10713

It does look Bachmann-ish, split frame and all. I will have to back away from attempting to help with this, as I have no idea who manufactured it. Good luck, Paul. As you can see, sometimes what looks like a great deal turns out to not be so great.

Although I have installed DCC in many different manufacturer's products (Life Like Proto 2000, Stewart, Atlas, Bachmann, Athearn) when the diesels where purchased, they came in their manufacturer's boxes, so the manufacturer's identification was known.

Sorry I can't be of better help!

I wish I could find the box this came in, but I just have no idea what I did with it. I don't throw things like that away, but if I could find where all those missing socks from the wash were, it'd probably be there. :)

I sent off an email to Athearn with pics to see what they had to say about this loco. I'll contact DigiTrax if I don't get enough info from Athearn on just what decoder to use.

I received this email from Athearn today.

Paul,

Thank you for your inquiry, this model technically is not DCC ready however you may want to check with aftermarket decoder manufacturers such as TCS and Digitrax, they offer drop in style decoders that may be compatible with this locomotive.

-Athearn Help

So, they are saying this loco can be fitted with a dcc decoder for dcc operation?

Paul,

They're recommending you check with TCS and Digitrax to see IF they have a compatible decoder. I would interpret that to mean if either do then yes, you can put a DCC decoder into the engine.

Good luck but I honestly can't see why you couldn't DCC it. Also, if either do have a decoder that is compatible, I'd definitely go with TCS.

The first thing you need to do BEFORE attempting to install a DCC decoder is whether the motor has one pole grounded directly to the frame! I'm not sure about more recent Athearn models, but the Blue Box diesels have the clip on the bottom of the motor that connects to the one pole contacting directly to the frame. You will have to remove the motor and insulate it from the frame, soldering a wire to the clip, and routing that wire to the motor lead from the decoder. The brush clip on the top of the motor is then connected to the other wire lead from the decoder.

Paul,

The caveat that preludes this comment is I'm not great when it comes to doing decoder installs and avoid it at all costs. As such and from the sounds of things ... convert the engine you have to a "dummy engine" and buy a DCC equipped SD75. Might not be the cheapest way to go but will probably not cause an ulcer either :)

Not an SD75, but close:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Kato-N-1768434-1-SD70ACe-BNSF-Kobo-p/kat-1768434-1.htm

Or, you could get a DCC ready engine and a decoder:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Kato-N-1768435-SD70ACe-BNSF-p/kat-1768435.htm

https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Train-Control-Systems-AMD4-4-Function-BEMF-Decoder-p/tcs-1029.htm

Just a thought mate if funds allow for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back