I'd like some thoughts on my design

Scroll to post #8 for updated plan
Okay, so here's my plan....
The idea is to emulate the CP line from Creston (extension into the other part of the room is possible, but not probable) to Midway, with a continuous run, a fair amount of switching, and overwhelming scenery - With this in mind, I created a two deck plan.
Specs are this:
N scale
Minimum radius 16" on level, 18" on grade
Max grade 2.4%
1100ft sidings
Lower deck height 36"-42"
Upper deck height in mushroom 54"-66" (at the duckunder beside the helix)
Upper deck height along wall 57" at Bulldog tunnel portal by helix -59" at Farron summit (the one with the wye) - 52" at Midway (the yard)
Mainline code 55
Sidings/industrial ME code 40 (Starting from scratch, so I've got flanges on the brain when buying)
All turnouts to be handlaid using Fast Tracks tools (Just putting this out there, I already know I'm insane, so you don't need to tell me!)
Mainline sidings #8
Yard ladders and other tracks #6
Industries including paper mill #5

It starts coming out of staging onto the lakefront, into the main yard (Nelson), along some scenic elements to Castlegar where there is (prototypically!) a station inside a wye, and the yard is going to be bare(ly) scenicked and in the hallway. From there it passes the paper mill and starts going up the 2.4% ruling westbound grade, through a helix to get it to the second deck on a mushroom 10" above the first deck (and going the opposite direction, so the gap gets larger) through the siding of Shields, until it goes into the duckunder tunnel, the prototype of which is 2900' long. It emerges slightly lower, goes into the summit siding which has a MOW track, wye, and a lumber reload, through some very specific and inspired scenery, down to the 7 car siding of Fife. This is basically used for setouts by the westbound wayfreight so that the eastbound can switch the limestone tipple and lumber reload at this siding. Midway is the division point at the west end of the subdivision, so it's a good place to leave off - it's probably going to be accessible from both sides, as it's a bit awkward moving the train through there to the scenic Kettle Valley and Boundary Sawmill. From then it goes to a helix that goes down to the lower level and staging.

The main compromise in the design were the aisles...I originally wanted to keep them at minimum 24", but I realized that I don't know many modelers and don't intend to hold operating sessions, and as such can see a maximum of 4 operators at 1 time - so the aisles range from 18" to 30", depending on where my track goes.

Did I leave anything out? I hope not!

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, 60 odd views and nary a comment!........

I can only assume that means the cognoscenti "approve" :)

[I'm no guru at all, but it sure looks well thought out to me - Makes me wish I could do N!]

Cheers,
Ian

Great looking track plan, is this around the walls or center of the room?
I think I've been on that line a few times, have to check my records.
Crowsnest Sub, right?

Maybe everyone's still just staring at it! Apparently I'm a design savant.

Little hard to see things well enough to make much in the way of comments.

Some suggestions:

XtrkCad has an "Export to Bitmap" option on the file menu. If you first use that one, and the e.g. Windows Picture and Fax viewer to look at the file (perhaps flipping it sideways) before you do a screen copy that uses all of the screen and still is fairly readable.

Indicate (at least roughly) the edge of the layout using straight lines. Indicate viewblocks (if any). Put labels on the drawing, indicating doors, duckunders and such things. It is hard to comment on whether the aisles and reaches are sensible when we don't actually see where the aisles are.

I would also suggest indicate track lengths in feet and inches on the model (or number of cars) instead of 1:1 scale distances. Most people will not bother to calculate that an "1100 foot siding" in N scale is about 6.8 feet, or room for about 25 40' cars plus an engine.

From a 10000 foot perspective, not being able to see much detail, the layout appears to be not too overloaded with track, you seem to have a clear vision of what you are trying to accomplish, the choice of scale seems appropriate for what you want to do (mainly running through scenery that dwarf the trains), curve radii and inclines seem sensible.

Smile,
Stein, heading out to put up the trampoline for the kids - spring is here :)

yeah its tough to see the track plan when it is so small. I think a larger image along with rotating it and some description on the image would be helpful.

One thing I have learned pretty quick is that you will meet more modelers so if you think you may want to hold larger ops sessions don't worry about not knowing anyone, they'll turn up.

Thanks for pointing that out, steinjr! After a redesign, I've got a new plan, and you can actually see it:

For the record, I have changed the sidings to be variable in length, ranging from 4 locos + 18 cars up to 25 cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
With that much real estate I'd be avoiding duck-unders, swing-outs, lift-outs, pop-ups ... anything that you can't just comfortably walk up to.

At the underside, the track itself is at 5'11". (That's the max height, the duckunder is at the summit) I'm planning to have a 6" high section of riser in that aisle.

I'm not very familiar with the CP in Western Canada, however this looks very similar to a John Armstrong design for a freelanced system, a few years back in one of the 'Model Railroad Planning,' magazines. If I weren't moving this week, I could tell you which ones-someone else may remember these plans. Something about the 'Ataba...System.'

Carl

Back