I recently purchased a Key 4-8-4 Northern I need to change the drive wheels and I need the instructions to accomplish this.

The drive wheels that are on the Engine are all metal there is a set of drive wheels supplied in the box that have rubber liners for traction . I need these on so the Train will run as it is set up right now all the wheels do is spin . they spin very good but no traction at all . I am sure that is why they included the extra set of drive wheels in the box.

Ahhhh, OK. That sort of job is pretty easy.
The traction tires will go on the rear most of the drive wheels.
When you look at the drive arms, you'll see a nut holding it on the rear most wheel. Nothing else should be on there.
Just remove the nuts from both sides, then look at the bottom of the loco and you'll see a plate that would either be holding all drive wheels in place or just each drive wheel. Remove that plate and the drive wheel will just lift out. Put the drive wheels with the traction tire in its place and reverse the process that you did to take it apart.
You might post a picture of the loco from the side and another of the bottom of the loco.

Ahhhh, OK. That sort of job is pretty easy.
The traction tires will go on the rear most of the drive wheels.
When you look at the drive arms, you'll see a nut holding it on the rear most wheel. Nothing else should be on there.
Just remove the nuts from both sides, then look at the bottom of the loco and you'll see a plate that would either be holding all drive wheels in place or just each drive wheel. Remove that plate and the drive wheel will just lift out. Put the drive wheels with the traction tire in its place and reverse the process that you did to take it apart.
You might post a picture of the loco from the side and another of the bottom of the loco.

D & J Railroad
Thank you for the information . I guessed about the nuts holding the drive arms but did not know what wheels were the drivers so that is why I posted the question.
If I can figure out how to post pictures I will.

And again thank you

Jim C

Back