I never want to sell my railroad stuff. Period.

I have no illusions about my trains bringing any money after Im gone. I try to keep an accurate inventory but Im not consistent

The LHS is aware of my stuff and he will buy at about 20%. The if I am gone list shows the family can keep what they want, if they want. I have 3 guys I weather for that will offer decent money to Terry and whatever is left I have a young 24 year old who will take anything not sold. The layout the son and son in law are aware how to dismantle it. Most of the stuff has been claimed but the rest will get dumped

All the rolling stock have bought has been to run on the layout. The boxes they came in have gone to be recycled. Most of my locomotives have been renumbered/renamed. The same with the freight wagons. Thus they are unique and special to me.

What will happen to them when I am gone? I could guess, but really I am not bothered. Whilst I am here they will be seen around the layout.

It will be up to my daughter if she wants to sell my stuff as a complete layout or parse it out.
I've provided instructions of who to contact for help on this stuff. I've kept the boxes for the locomotives and some of the more expensive rolling stock as well as items on the layout.

The next two years will determine things here. Sis and I become co-owners of two properties, and the smaller rental will probably be sold to finance continuation of the larger. The larger lot might be split into natural/obvious thirds, and one of those is the ideal location for the "mega-railroad," which I see becoming a standalone museum at some point.
Likely trustee would be my nephew. the one who is about to start med-school, as he's the "kid" who got me back into the MRR hobby in the first place.
I won't live to see it finished, but I do plan to see it started. Something on the order of 5K to 7K square feet in N-scale, which is why Free-moN is so important right now as a test bed.
The plan is there. Finding consensus is the next hurdle, but we are close.

Last edited:
That's one hell of an N scale layout! Good luck and post lots of pictures.
Right now it's just a dream, but the property could well accommodate it, and the side/parking street is a long cul-de-sac which will never become a through street. The pieces are all there.
If this does get off the ground, it'll be similar to Verryl's UP project down in the Verde Valley AZ, where (Ken?) aka D&J is visiting right now, although probably with just one carpenter instead of two. That guy is a real master, and We'd be very lucky to get him on board.
Current price in this area: $33K for a 50'x 100' foot 6" slab...to get it started.
Like I said: It's currently just a dream, but one that could take off soon. The next two years will decide it.
If it doesn't go, we'll split it up, and I will certainly leave this locale for cheaper pastures. Wyoming is a likely choice.

Last edited:
Like I said: It's currently just a dream, but one that could take off soon.
I like dreams. Dream BIG dreams and see where they take you.

Put an actual date down on when it all happens. Put the date/s on your bedroom door, so you see them every day you awake. One month either way you will have your dream.
NEVER let anyone take the dream away, (because somebody will try).

Right now it's just a dream, but the property could well accommodate it, and the side/parking street is a long cul-de-sac which will never become a through street. The pieces are all there.
If this does get off the ground, it'll be similar to Vernon's UP project down in the Verde Valley AZ, where (Ken?) aka DJ is visiting right now, although probably with just one carpenter instead of two. That guy is a real master, and We'd be very lucky to get him on board.
Current price in this area: $33K for a 50'x 100' foot 6" slab...to get it started.
Like I said: It's currently just a dream, but one that could take off soon. The next two years will decide it.
If it doesn't go, we'll split it up, and I will certainly leave this locale for cheaper pastures. Wyoming is a likely choice.
Here is a link to Verryl's world famous empire.
It contains the history of the layout and how he got it built to what it is today.

The city govt. will be the villian if there is one. Property taxes just shot up 40% (!) and between that and insurance it might be too much. We'll see.

Here is a link to Verryl's world famous empire.
It contains the history of the layout and how he got it built to what it is today.
Verryl, thx. Correction made.

The city govt. will be the villian if there is one. Property taxes just shot up 40% (!) and between that and insurance it might be too much. We'll see.
Not at the first hurdle, surely.
NEVER let anyone take the dream away. (Somebody will try.)

I could go further with the plan, but that would hijack the original thread "What will happen...". So I'll leave it as I (hope) I came into it. Hopefully without the hijacking part.

My property taxes went up 38% three years ago. I warned all my neighbors in my community and told them to contact our district supervisor. Nobody did, but they're complaining about it. The next year, the taxes went up again. Still, nobody contacted the supervisor. Last year, another 8%, still nobody said squat. Now this year, another 5% raise, still not a single person contacted the county district supervisor. I keep telling my neighbors, silence is consent as far as the supervisors are concerned. They'll hit us again next year with a hefty tax raise as well.

My property taxes went up 38% three years ago. I warned all my neighbors in my community and told them to contact our district supervisor. Nobody did, but they're complaining about it. The next year, the taxes went up again. Still, nobody contacted the supervisor. Last year, another 8%, still nobody said squat. Now this year, another 5% raise, still not a single person contacted the county district supervisor. I keep telling my neighbors, silence is consent as far as the supervisors are concerned. They'll hit us again next year with a hefty tax raise as well.
My sympathies. People I talked to here, who, like me, had lived here for more than fifty years were saying they would have to leave if that tax went through. One in particular I haven't seen since probably did.
What I have to find out now is the tax expectation for a future museum. I would hope the burden would be less. but for all I know they might want more.
We'll see
I do have the idea your current layout is in your own home. so there won't be any break for that...and unless a future buyer has an interest in keeping it alive for their own reasons, it'll go away.
But there is also a small bit of balance there: Maybe you CAN take it with you after all.

Last edited:
I feel the same way. I have made it a little easier by providing a complete inventory listing with purchase price and a lot of other details.
Same here!

I have made it very clear that there is more value in the trains than almost anything else we own.
My trains are not so valuable, but considering they are the only thing I've spent money on for myself as an adult I would hate to see them thrown away. I have tools but I didn't buy them for fun.

Come to think of it, my life amounts to tools, trains, sports equipment, and sports cards. The rest is all but worthless. Except for the cash, the kids will like that.

Although I hear LPs are coming back, I have over 200 of them.

Back