I know it's June but I need some Polar Express help

When I started screwing around with trains a couple years ago, the plan was to recreate some kind of replica of the Polar Express. Well? 12 engines and 60 cars of rolling stock later I'm finally getting around to it. For those who are wondering the color scheme I found out on the "interweb" that the artist used the Erie-Lackawanna color scheme for the passenger cars. In the pictures below my flash made the blue REALLY blue and in fact it's more of a periwinkle (Krylon Fusion paint for plastic). The Burgundy is in fact called "burgundy". Imagine that? Now to my question. I did a search because I figured somebody here has done the same project and found decals for the engine and passenger cars in HO scale. Nobody has. So I'm wondering if over the years those decals or a source for them is available?

Thanks. Appreciate your looking for it. I figured I'd have to do one letter at a time on the engine. Obviously I'd rather have some made. I'll see what others might say.

It looks like the font used for the Polar Express, both in the movie and the book, is Times New Roman bold. Have you considered making the decals in Microsoft Word and then printing them out with an inkjet printer onto decal paper? It might take a little experimentation to figure out what font size will work best, but it seems doable.

I didn't know about decal paper. That would be very cool if it is possible. Thanks for the the input.

Are the letters dark-colored on a light background, or light on a dark background? If it's the latter, homemade decals from an inkjet printer won't work since the ink is transparent.

Back