I’m never satisfied

This is a 2x4ft n scale layout I built. I wish I could be satisfied with this but I still have the itch to go into HO or O scale trains. However space is limited. I read on different forums that 2x4ft n scale layouts can get boring right away. My layout below can be expanded with more modules. Is it normal to never be satisfied?

EDC17EDB-E2AF-463E-B4C3-BDA1CB30149A.jpeg

C7CF655B-4452-4B74-8DEC-4F7C2FEEA661.jpeg

Your layout looks great, and smart to build the expansion into your plan...

A smaller layout is much easier to maintain and gives you time to pursue other parts of the hobby, a larger layout you may get the feeling that you will never finish, then much more to maintain and maybe not like it when you are done or possibly constantly changing directions as you see it unfold...

To answer your question, yes, you will probably never be satisfied, in my opinion

Dave LASM

Manifest destiny.

To certain extent yes, you may always want something new. A lot depends on your vision and your personality. Some people never complete a 2x4 layout because their interests change even before they can complete that. Other people have a concept in mind and are satisfied with building that concept for the rest of their lives. Nobody is required to finish a layout, so not finishing a layout isn't a problem if you are an "enjoy the journey" type of person. Some people are driven to finish things and are upset if it's not finished. If that is your personality, then build a smaller layout.

Nothing says a layout is permanent either. It is very common in Europe, where space is limited, for people to build a small layout, finish it, then after they run it for a while, strip it down to the benchwork and build a different themed layout. They finish it, operate it for a while, then strip it down again and build a new theme.

It also depends on what you like as far as operating the layout. Some people like switching, some people like running. Your layout is designed to let you run a train, with minimal opportunities to switch. Real switching aficionados won't even have a loop, they entirely switch cars.

Your layout design is a classic "4x8" design with just a loop and few spurs. One issue is that N scale is not half of HO so you actually end up with a more cramped layout if you try to put an HO 4x8 layout plan on 2x4 in N scale.

Things you can do to increase the interest of your layout.

- Add a divider backdrop. Run a backdrop, roughly down the middle (can be curved, can be at an angle) to divide the layout into two sections, then each section can be it's own scene. Effectively doubles the size of the layout.
- Raise the layout. It looks like it is 30-36" off the floor. Raise the layout to 48-55" off the floor for a different perspective. More like you are standing on the layout, rather than flying over it in a helicopter.
- Add a staging yard. Even a 3 or four foot long 1x4 with a support leg and 2 or 3 tracks on it will work, allows trains to be swapped out easily.
- Add a runaround, a double ended track, allows more switching opportunities.

Back