Hump Yard Operation

Latest update -- without a control system yet -- not yet ready for any big "reveals" -- been busy with a different kind of grading (exams not tracks) -- should have more time to work on it in the next few weeks

I've been able to get fairly consistent rolling across 4 bowl tracks by shimming as needed -- since the benchwork underneath was not perfectly level -- the shimming perpendicular to the tracks is slightly different from one side of the yard to the other --

shimming adjustments are being made in increments the thickness of card stock along the length of the bowl-- I haven't had to resort to counting out sheets of paper yet

The average slope at the moment is only 3/4 of an inch over 9 feet (108 inches) which is a hair under 0.7 percent -- but the curve puts much of that in the first 3 feet where the switched are located

due to our particular space limitations, we have a short 33" radius bend in the bowl tracks at one point, but that doesn't seem to be causing any extra problems

The switches are not all Y's yet -- so there is probably a difference in friction going through the two different paths of the number 6 switches.

I am noticing that the small details of the track work do matter.....

I have noticed that my low-quality, pre-fab switches bow upward just a bit at the frog, causing the cars to hesitate as they go through the switches -- I'll need to tack the switches down better to level them out -- this might be a thermal expansion problem

the low-quality switch points also seem to be a bit too blunt for the wheels to pass easily, creating a need for a bit of extra speed going into the switches

likewise, the wheels hesitate at the less-than-perfect track joints between the 3-foot track sections -- creating a need for just enough speed going into the small "hole" between the track sections -- or the slight "bump" -- I suppose i could clamp the track ends in alignment

I've been able to get by with what most of you would regard as "sloppy" track work for most of the layout -- but getting that "slow roll into the bowl" is forcing me to be more finicky about track work

Latest update -- without a control system yet -- not yet ready for any big "reveals" -- been busy with a different kind of grading (exams not tracks) -- should have more time to work on it in the next few weeks

I've been able to get fairly consistent rolling across 4 bowl tracks by shimming as needed -- since the benchwork underneath was not perfectly level -- the shimming perpendicular to the tracks is slightly different from one side of the yard to the other --

shimming adjustments are being made in increments the thickness of card stock along the length of the bowl-- I haven't had to resort to counting out sheets of paper yet

The average slope at the moment is only 3/4 of an inch over 9 feet (108 inches) which is a hair under 0.7 percent -- but the curve puts much of that in the first 3 feet where the switched are located

due to our particular space limitations, we have a short 33" radius bend in the bowl tracks at one point, but that doesn't seem to be causing any extra problems

The switches are not all Y's yet -- so there is probably a difference in friction going through the two different paths of the number 6 switches.

I am noticing that the small details of the track work do matter.....

I have noticed that my low-quality, pre-fab switches bow upward just a bit at the frog, causing the cars to hesitate as they go through the switches -- I'll need to tack the switches down better to level them out -- this might be a thermal expansion problem

the low-quality switch points also seem to be a bit too blunt for the wheels to pass easily, creating a need for a bit of extra speed going into the switches

likewise, the wheels hesitate at the less-than-perfect track joints between the 3-foot track sections -- creating a need for just enough speed going into the small "hole" between the track sections -- or the slight "bump" -- I suppose i could clamp the track ends in alignment

I've been able to get by with what most of you would regard as "sloppy" track work for most of the layout -- but getting that "slow roll into the bowl" is forcing me to be more finicky about track work

Back