humm never heard of this ,,,

Wasn't sure if you were referring to him or me. I assumed me because you had quoted what I said. No problem.

Wasn't sure if you were referring to him or me. I assumed me because you had quoted what I said. No problem.
lol yea i see i qouted you because i was agreeing with the statement you made about the 4005 :p, sorry for the confusion :D

I don't think there are any rails (more to the point bridges) in the vicinity of the museum in Dallas that could support the weight of the Big Boy. If I understand correctly, the museum is relocating to Frisco, TX, which is north of Dallas along the BNSF Madill Sub. I'm not sure how the Big Boy is going to be transported there but I had heard it wasn't possible to do it via rail. If it does happen over the Madill Sub, I hope I am involved in the move. It would certainly be something you'd never forget.

I don't think there are any rails (more to the point bridges) in the vicinity of the museum in Dallas that could support the weight of the Big Boy. If I understand correctly, the museum is relocating to Frisco, TX, which is north of Dallas along the BNSF Madill Sub. I'm not sure how the Big Boy is going to be transported there but I had heard it wasn't possible to do it via rail. If it does happen over the Madill Sub, I hope I am involved in the move. It would certainly be something you'd never forget.
it seems that 4014 is the star canidate right now ,but beyond that im sure they have "the list" after they have rated all the locos & im sure it will be ranked by avilablity & condition

If I may... I swear I have a copy, or have seen a picture of a big boy in front of a roundhouse or engine facility under steam. Not moving mind you, but under steam. I want to say the picture was from the late 70's early 80's. But you know what they say... it's not real unless we see it! :D

if i may... I swear i have a copy, or have seen a picture of a big boy in front of a roundhouse or engine facility under steam. Not moving mind you, but under steam. I want to say the picture was from the late 70's early 80's. But you know what they say... It's not real unless we see it! :d
sean damn it !!!1 you cant drop that tid bit on us without giving us a scanned pic/ ariticle or pic or something !!!!

If I may... I swear I have a copy, or have seen a picture of a big boy in front of a roundhouse or engine facility under steam. Not moving mind you, but under steam. I want to say the picture was from the late 70's early 80's. But you know what they say... it's not real unless we see it! :D

worthless.gif
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;):D

Ah, but it's the details that count! According to the original picture info it's under "shop steam", probably just a temp tie in, maybe for testing purposes. However, it's not under fire, as in a cold firebox. Also, note that it is only on a display track and if capable of movement it wouldn't amount to more than a foot or two in either direction. Still, it's nice to see a plume of steam coming from the old gal.

I don't think there are any rails (more to the point bridges) in the vicinity of the museum in Dallas that could support the weight of the Big Boy.
For bridges it's possible, but for rails on the ground the axle loading is what matters, and in this sense the Big Boy is "lighter" than both a Challenger and modern diesels.

I believe it was '76 according to the source
Who needs a source, just look at the parking lot! :eek: 4023 isn't the only classic on display in that photo. :p

Ah, but it's the details that count! According to the original picture info it's under "shop steam", probably just a temp tie in, maybe for testing purposes. However, it's not under fire, as in a cold firebox. Also, note that it is only on a display track and if capable of movement it wouldn't amount to more than a foot or two in either direction. Still, it's nice to see a plume of steam coming from the old gal.

You are right Bob. I thought of that last night after I had already left work. I knew someone would call me out before I could get into work today and fix it. :D

For bridges it's possible, but for rails on the ground the axle loading is what matters, and in this sense the Big Boy is "lighter" than both a Challenger and modern diesels.

So, please excuse my ignorance, but what then would keep it from operating besides not being able to turn it? PPFFF like that's a big deal!!!! :rolleyes:

As far as the ability to turn a Big Boy goes you could just plan a more circuitous route that would eliminate the need, although it might increase the length and costs of an excursion.

Who needs a source, just look at the parking lot! :eek: 4023 isn't the only classic on display in that photo. :p

Hard to tell, but I'd lay money the blue maverick is 70-72 models (small bumpers) and the Valiant is a 73-76 model (big 5 mph bumpers)
Looking at the way its parked, I'd guess it was fairly new, and had not received a door ding yet!;)

Ew, who brought the matador wagon??:p:p:p

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of those cars are foreign (literally) to me. :D The fastback in front (from our perspective) of the red Beetle looks like a muscle car of some kind. The front end and the slightly flared wheelarch looks vaguely like a Pontiac GTO but I'm probably mistaken. :p

Back