Howdy From Oklahoma

revolverpilots

Material Transport Ops
Hi I have been interested in railroad sets forever but never did it yet. I come from a railroad background. I presently operate a 1940's us air force switch engine at my job. I work for Boeing, I load the railcar with wing assembly's of Boeing 747. After I load it I hook on to it with my switch engine and take it out by the mainline and drop it for BNSF to transport it to Washington State for final assembly of the Boeing 747. I then hook up to the empty railcar BNSF returned and back it down the rail into a building where we will reload it. My Family has 3 conductors that all work for union pacific. I actually got hired to be a conductor myself when I was 22 for the union pacific. I worked and trained on the engine for a whole 3 weeks, then I got a call from human resources and they said you have a misdeameanor on your record that you didnt tell us about on your application, so we will have to let you go, get the charge exsponged then reapply. well I went to truck driving school instead and was a trucker for 10 years. But now I work for Boeing and I still get to drive a switch engine. So I am happy either way. So enough about myself I dont own any trainsets im a rookie on this one. I need advice On what to get I think I like HO scale right now mabey N is that the new thing? anyways happy to be aboard!

Welcome aboard oklahomite! Glad you were able to rehabilitate yourself after that unfortunate misdemeanor episode.....I hope it wasn't littering.:eek: LOL! :D Just kidding you a little.

I envy your nice job driving the train. I have N scale.....and also like HO trains too. Hard choice to pick between because HO is easier to work on and feels like you get more for your money......and longer N trains fit in smaller space and take less power to run. Either way it's a great hobby.

Mike

Yeah I have noticed that n scale a little cheaper but, ho scale not much more and double the size. My hang up is for instance atlas trainman has the same motor but how much do the details in the shell suffer for the price. I do want a good railcar manufacture with good detail. Ya the train is fun. I just got recertified on my yearly recertification, and I asked the 40 year retired engineers that now just recert people about model trains, and they were like man dont even bother me with that. I asked why not? He said those damn modelers are always coming down to the rail yard, and i always spend 3 hours showing them and telling them about trains....lol.... you know he likes it haha....

Now that sounds like a fun thing to model. We talked about combining hobbies and heres an industry that could be modeled to combine an interest in model trains and model airplane building.

I agree

Actually I am big into 3d helicopers. I Have a Trex500 full 3d flight if you dont know what im talking about type trex500 on you tube. Yeah I been in the buugy buisness to I have an 1/8th scale ofna with a werkz .21 nitro breathing motor with a werkz 2017 polished pipe. So if you need advice on nitro buggys or monster trucks, or helicoptors, or airplanes im your man. I am on a new venture that I have not explored, and im a father of 2 kids now im stuck at home... I cant even ride my Harley anymore but to work and back..haha.

I added some photo's of my hobbies, and the airplane is a russian plane called the antranot, see the semi I backed in the nose of it, tells you how huge the plane is. If its material I transport it!

Howdy - from another Okie --- Mustang, OK

I've been into HO for about 12 years now and I still don't have a layout of my own. One day.

I work weekends at the Oklahoma Railway Museum on full size stuff - mostly in the shop fixing them. The ORM lets me move switches some times and I flag the streets we cross. Prefer to work the shop though. One day, they may let me become a crew member and drive the locomotive - one day.

I used to fly RC aircraft also and drove RC cars for a while too. Don't have much time for that now so I sold it all.

Welcome to the forums.

Ya that is cool where is the mueseum? I drive a model# RS-4-TC-A1 it was built around 1954 for the united states air force. I have not bought anything yet, I've been researching.

Back