Howdy from Indy

NScaler

Engineer in Training
Hi everyone. I am a 43 year old kid from Indiana and I just recently dug all my old train stuff out. I was into the hobby about 20 years ago but I haven't messed with it much since. My 1-1/2 year old son has become fascinated with trains and I think it has revived the interest in me. Maybe its a mid-life crisis or something ;) But I have always had the interest in trains and modeling. I knew one day I would pick it back up which is why I kept all my old stuff. I have a layout design put together and I am finally going to build something I can have fun doing some scenery on and running some trains for the kids.

Thanks for reading!
-Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Forums, Kevin. I'm starting over after a little more than twenty years away from the hobby. I've been acquiring new and used equipment for my N scale CB&Q layout for the last couple of years and am hoping to start some layout work by fall of next year. One thing you've discovered is that there is no cure for the railroad bug once you have been bitten. Actually it is one of the better afflictions to have......I've been enjoying it for as long as I can remember. Keep us posted on your progress. By the way, the new equipment from Kato, Atlas, Intermountain, etc. is much better than the stuff that was available even ten years ago. Good luck and keep us posted as time goes by, Bob.

...By the way, the new equipment from Kato, Atlas, Intermountain, etc. is much better than the stuff that was available even ten years ago. Good luck and keep us posted as time goes by, Bob.

...Kato got BETTER?!
I have noticed the prices went up accordingly. It's a good thing I scratch build because I have no engines left. ;)

I have a layout design that I found on the internet. I have tried and tried to design my own but for my first one I felt I better use someone else's design. I flipped it around and am currently trying to get the track heights correct. As soon as I get that done I will make a post somewhere showing where I am at. I am so excited. This layout has been 20 years in the making. It's an "L" shape with the long side measuring 160" and the short side measuring 90".

I went to Menards and saw that they had slightly damaged sheets of 2" foam for sale for $5.00 for a 4'x8' sheet. It was normally $30.00. I was like CHA-CHING! "I'll take 2 please!". So I grabbed some 1"x4"'s as well to do the benchwork. I think tomorrow I will start cutting lumber.

I'm here, north of indy!

Good find on the foam!

I have been dying to build a layout but just got the space last year. Then this year family expansions have put a small pause on the layout plans.

Luckily there is a train show this weekend to tide me over!!

Welcome to the forums!

Oh wow. I thought that was later this month. I was wanting to take the kids. I hope the "blizzard" doesn't keep us in tomorrow. Everyone went and bought up all the gas, bread, and milk here in Brownsburg. I hate the media!

Thanks for the welcome by the way. I live in Brownsburg just north of the drag strip. I will hopefully be posting some more pictures tomorrow of my layout progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to get the family up to go before the snow gets too deep. It's not looking good :(

So did you go Greg? If so, how was it?

Back