How well do Con Cor PA-1s run?

granite

I am thinking about buying a Con Cor PA-1/PB-1 set online, but have never been able to test run them in person. Do any of you have experience with these locomotives? If so, how do they run compared to other N scale locos?

I love most of the ConCor PA series and the E8/9 series as well.

Based on my own personal experience, I would recommend avoiding the China (quality issue) made versions and the very old pre-Kato (Sekisui, good for its era) harder to get parts and usually worn out from old age & being run to death. If possible I want to see a photo of the BOTTOM. The old Sekisui made units had similar split lower chassis and the metal fuel tank area is metal instead of a black plastic part. If it has a headlight it should be at least 1972 or newer.

I prefer ConCor and Kato over most other brands, a personal choice. I have a few newer Katos and they are FANTASTIC, smooth and quiet. For DCC conversions I have had problems with the drop in board type conversions. I end up using DN135 Digitrac decoders and hard wire them in for better reliability. The ConCor DCC ready with 8pin med NMRA connectors are more reliable.

JD

Back