How To Model Intermodal trains & yards

Nice video, I really enjoyed it. I am looking at doing intermodel on the layout I am currently designing. It is inspired by the East LA subdivision of the UP. I definitely have the origination terminal, but this video gives me an idea I hadn't thought of, a set out intermodel terminal. That would spruce up the operation for that train, instead of just running to another destination terminal and being an obstacle on the main for the switchers and mixed freight to avoid....:D:p

Thanks for the great video and idea!

Typically the intermediate block swapping terminals are hundreds of miles away from the origin terminal and near or past a junction with another route. The reason a railroad block swaps is to split or combine trains for different destinations.
Lets say a railroad looks like a sideways Y, running from Los Angeles to El Paso and then a fork to Houston and one to Dallas. If they wanted an intermediate terminal they would put one at El Paso, 600 miles from Houston or Dallas and almost 1000 miles from LA.

Great video DJ
I've been hauling intermodal since 1995. wish they would upgrade all the yards in St.Louis there still using the old yards that were used in the 1950s and 60s there so outdated for the heavy Rail and Truck traffic. some of the yards I go in are the old Missouri Pacific, Frisco, and Pennsylvania which is the CSX Roselake yard. it's the most modern no gate inspection all done by scanning I love it I'm in and out in no time and no long lines. thanks for sharing

DJ
Here's some pics of Intermodal yard based on the Conrail Roselake yard in 1995
IMG_9189.jpg
IMG_9190.jpg
IMG_9191.jpg
IMG_9193.jpg
IMG_9194.jpg
IMG_9195.jpg
IMG_9196.jpg
IMG_9197.jpg
IMG_9198.jpg

Back