How To Kitbash A Transfer Caboose?

ryanrev

I was looking through a model railroader magazine and saw one. I have an old beaten up without wheels, couplers, and trucks Burlington Northern boxcar made by I believe Athearn. I'll need to find a Burlington Northern flatcar aswell but besides that what else will I need to make it? And has anyone else here attempted to make one if so I'd like possibly a guide or some tips on how to make it. Is it difficult to do? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your on the right track. You need a flatcar and some sort of structure to put on top. It could be made from an old boxcar, caboose or purpose built. The more you look around the more variations you'll find.

If you want to take the easy way out, Moloco makes a very nice kit;
http://walthers.com/exec/productinfo/504-3001

Its out of stock, but I bet you can find it somewhere.

Todd Templeton

Ok I got my old Athearn boxcar and I also got an undecorated Roco flatcar to use. Thanks. I probably have other more cheap flatcars around but a Burlington Northern flatcar might not look as good as I thought.

Ok I got my old Athearn boxcar and I also got an undecorated Roco flatcar to use. Thanks. I probably have other more cheap flatcars around but a Burlington Northern flatcar might not look as good as I thought.

Go on the internet & type in "Transfer Caboose". Lots & lots of pics & places to buy different kits.

Larry

Back