how to dcc a Atlas switch machine

ThoroughBreed

Dcc~detail~diesel freak
Heres a good question, I recently came into alot of dcc decoders and will be swapping out some of my cheaper decoders for some better ones.
I thought about this, and wondered what kind of wiring would be necessary to do to use these decoders for switch machines.
Now, these are Lenz LE1000W decoders, and they have really poor low speed motor control, so thats why I'm swapping them out. Heres a link to the manual: http://www.lenz.com/manuals/index.htm
Its a 1 amp, single function decoder, but how would I go about adding the 2 diodes to the 2 wires to put it across a Atlas custom line 3 pole switch machine? I'd like to add a couple of resistors also, to drop the voltage a little too. Right now my mind is a little cloudy, so I thought I would ask, also to get a confirmation of what I already think.

decoders_for_switches.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like you've got it right to me. In theory, you wouldn't even need to drop the voltage since both the decoder and switch machine operate about about 16 volts AC. You'd just need to assign the switch machine an address on your DCC controller and use the forward and reverse functions to control the switch.

Aren's the atlas switch machines set up for temporary voltage and not continuous? If they can handle constant voltage the resistor would be a good idea to reduce heat and possible burn-out.

Back