How much ballast

mowman24

If I am using 3 rail 027 track and have nearly 100 feet of track, how much ballast will I need? In cubic feet or quarts or gallons not lbs

another question. I hear about using Ritz's dye to color stuff, but how much dye to say a quart or even a gallon of water??

For ballast you get one container spread it and calculate the area covered. From there determine what you need.

Color dye on listening to my better half is most effective on natural materials not so well on synthetics. The more you dilute it the thinner it gets.

This sound mo
If I am using 3 rail 027 track and have nearly 100 feet of track, how much ballast will I need? In cubic feet or quarts or gallons not lbs
re like a math test question from middle school. It is just missing the two stations and two trains part

Sure, you have a quantitative approach to your table so that is how you can start.

For ballast you get one container spread it and calculate the area covered. From there determine what you need.

Color dye on listening to my better half is most effective on natural materials not so well on synthetics. The more you dilute it the thinner it gets.
A very logical approach regarding the ballast question . . .

Tom in Missouri

For three rail track you can make a box and add three grooves for the rails. Open bottom, Not too deep on the grooves because it has to ride over the tires. and make the turns.
Fill it with ballast and slide it down the rail.
It is a very easy way to spread ballast.

Got that trick from the HO guys.

Search ballast spreader and see some of the different designs. Use an image search

Back