How many transformers

timd35

Howdy,

I was wondering how big a layout is before it is too big for the transformer that comes with a set? I have a new set that I received for Christmas and I have purchased some more track to make a layout on a 5x9 ping pong table. I have read that at some point a bigger transformer will be needed, but nothing I have read says when you reach that point.

Thanks!

If you're into HO scale, we normally refer to them as power packsl transformers are usually used on O scale Lionel type trains.

If your existing power pack is working OK, then you probably don't need to change it until you start having problems such as overheating. Train set power packs are usually the cheapest ones they can make, and may not have enough low speed control for long term use of newer engines. If you intend to operate more than one powered engine at a time, they may not have enough reserve power to run them as you want.

Think of the pack that came with your set as a "starter"; it will eventually need to be replaced so getting one before there are problems might be able to prevent them. Better packs have built in short circuit protection, often working by lighting a red light or so, and resetting themselves after a short period. Better and more control of the trains too.

Thanks for the reply.

I am in O scale. I thought I had posted this in the O scale forum....sorry if I did not. The transformer I have is a newer one with a green light on it that blinks when it is about to go over it's limit. I originally had it it set up under the tree, and it was already blinking with just the standard oval that came with the set. It could have been doing that because of the haste with which I set up the track (I could not reach all the way to the back of the tree to check the track connections).

I was just curious if I added more track sections how soon I would need a bigger transformer.

I'm not an expert in teh Transformers field, so more Pro members will guide you better, but the ammout of transformers needed, depends on what you will run on it. For example I have about 4 at the moment, a big one ( 7 - 10 Amps to power all the track ( 5 x 9 feet layout in HO ), another one for only the "points" ( turnouts or switches whatever they r called ), another one for the house and street lights and another spare one which will be applied for other extra features.

Also before buying a PSU check out what Amperage you will have on it, you don't want to buy a small one and then burn it.

Anyway, the experts will reply to you soon enough, so hold on before buying something.

Ok...I finally put a small part of my track together. I have a lighted cabose, and the engine pulling 3 cars, a decoupler track and a RR crossing section (with the bells and lights). I can't even get the transformer up to 15 volts before the green light starts flashing. I have a lionel fast track set up with the basic transformer that comes with a starter set. Is this transformer just not powerful enough to get the train up to speed, or should I investigate something wrong with my set up?

Thanks!

I have an O gauge layout and let me give you a few suggestions. First thing...I would place the loop of track together and just run the engine to make everything works well. Then add the cars and see how well your lighted caboose works. When you start adding accessories you really need to power these separately.
If your going to be in the hobby for awhile I would definitely get a better transformer. Mikes Train House (MTH) makes very good transformers and the hook-up places for the wiring has fixed voltage for accessories. This would be your best bet.

A lot of times, there isn't a big difference in the power of the cheap "came with the set" packs and the better packs, in fact my "good" packs have less power than the one that came with the set. But as already stated, the quality of the components and features are where the better packs start to shine.....you can get packs with more power, but don't assume the new pack will have more power just because it costs more. The pack that came with the set should be adequate for quite a bit of extra track as long as you don't add extra engines or other high draw items......you may just have a bad blinking light. If the pack (or engine) isn't getting hot, or you don't notice any irregularities in the way it runs, I'd ignore the light. Does the pack have an Accessory jack to hook things like the crossing section to? If so , that shouldn't affect the engine/track power. I agree with Todd74 that if you're planning on getting serious, a better pack should be on your shopping list. Keep the old one to run accessories like Maxitrains.

if your getting a blinking light it means you are reaching the transformers limit and you should probably get something a little more powerful. . 80 to 120 watts should be sufficient for running a string of trains, even with lighted passeneger cars. Now if you start to connect swicthes and acsessories you are gonna want to wire them to a seperate power supply, either another seperate transformer or what I did was use an old computer power supply for all my lights and any thing that would run on direct current. Its just alot cheaper than buying another transformer everytime I add a new acsesorie. One thing to remember, keep your power to your trains seperate from anything else on your layout. By the way you were right you did post this in an o scale forum, the other dude must have wondered in to the wrong place... HO is around the corner buddy.

Ok...I finally put a small part of my track together. I have a lighted cabose, and the engine pulling 3 cars, a decoupler track and a RR crossing section (with the bells and lights). I can't even get the transformer up to 15 volts before the green light starts flashing. I have a lionel fast track set up with the basic transformer that comes with a starter set. Is this transformer just not powerful enough to get the train up to speed, or should I investigate something wrong with my set up?

Thanks!

Sounds like you have one of those lionel power starter set transformers that only put out 30 watts, I hear the mth z-1000 is a good one that wont burn your pockets

Back