How long to run a train?

G'day all....I've run mine for up to 40-45 minutes as three separate trains on three tracks..Once I integrated two of the three tracks using turnouts ,sadly I was lucky to see more than 15 minutes without a derail..And once derails start that's it for me until I figure out the problem..With the old track (Bachmann Ezy Track) longer sessions running continuously were more frequent...Cheers Rod.

Good question Tony,

I've run HO Christmas trains since 1974. Before Bachmann's EZ track and knuckle couplers they ran until they derailed.

I picked up a 2004 Athearn Coca Cola Christmas DC set with EZ track and Knuckle couplers and ran that set until 2011. I would run it for a few minutes to as much as 12 hours a day continuously off and on under the Christmas tree during the holiday season. I never once lubed it, all I did was keep it clean. The last year she ran, 2011 she began to sequel like a stuck pig after new years.

The next year, 2012 my daughter bought me a Lionel Polar Express set. (my first steam engine) It came with a manual and instructions on maintence so I oil and lube it every year before setting it up. It runs for hours on end off and on throughout the holiday season. Last year one of the linkages broke, but was easily repaired and is running now as I am typing this reply.

I have a Bachmann DCC GP38-2 pulling a consist of 6 cars, Tyco and Life-Like from the 70s under my little Christmas tree on my small HO layout. The cars have been upgraded with Bachmann 33" steel wheels and Life-Like Scene Master knuckle couplers using the original plastic trucks. It ran trouble free for over 16 hours on Christmas day.

Throughout the holiday season my trains can run for hundreds of hours. If one wears out I will restore it or buy another one. So far I have had little trouble with them. I love to hear and see my trains running. Restoration or replacements will be money well spent in my mind.

Merry Christmas!

Tony,
Until boredom sets in! Which could be any where from 5 minutes to 5 hours.... Being real, as long as they're maintained (lubed) there should really be no time limit. As with all electronics the day will come when they give up the ghost! So in my opinion Run Em' till the wheels fall off or they melt which ever comes first! It's only money we don't have!

Just catching up after a busy xmas and having to work through the holidays . Tony the longer you run an engine the better it will run. let it go.

I have a N scale set that I pack in an old style brief case. I use it at hotels to generate white noise. I usually run it in the evening for fun and let it run all night for the white noise effect.

I have a N scale set that I pack in an old style brief case. I use it at hotels to generate white noise. I usually run it in the evening for fun and let it run all night for the white noise effect.

That is a very unique idea! I love it! I don't travel much any more but I would like to carry a train set with me, now that you said that.

Nice reply Mike. I'll usually run them until I get bored.

Here's an answer Tony, Run the train until you finish your beer. Your operating session will all depend on how thirsty you are. View attachment 54636

I haven't got my layout to the point of operations so I don't have anything helpful to say...but based on that rule of thumb I'm going to need a build a bigger layout! ;)

I really don't think how long you run trains has ever been a serious issue for anyone except for the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry, where they run trains all day long when the place is open, so basically they are run the wheels off of them.

If the engine has sound and a steamer, cool, till the pop valve goes off...8-D

I do not plan loopy track running on my layout, it goes somewhere, but I have cheat loops planned for single level running (on a multi-deck layout) for testing, loopy running.

Back