How do you paint handrails

anthony61

Looking for a better way to paint handrails. Do you prime before you paint? Do you use a brush or spray? Do you have a jig to hold the hand rails while you are painting them?

Most of the time, I remove the handrails and mount the on a holding fixture (fancy way of saying a piece of styrofoam and a couple of micro clips to hold it in place). Then I airbrush. Priming depends on the material: metal gets primed, plastic does not.

If they are the typical slippery plastic variety found on most engines today, I first give them a light spray of adhesion promoter followed immediately by airbrushing the color coat.

The adhesion promoter can be found at most automotive paint supply stores and comes in a spray can. You also want as thin a coat of color as possible. The thicker the paint (like you get when brush painting) the more likely the paint will crack and flake off.

Mark.

I've also heard that R/C primer works good as its flexible.i model cp rail so the handrails are already red as well as the stanchions.to get the stanchions black I use a sharpie.works very well.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Back