How do you make your own grass for a railroad model or a diorama

Hi everyone im a bit new around here ,i want to make a forest diorama, its a little mountain forest with a small stream that becomes a small lake , it also has trench and 2 holes so the solders ca make an ambush, to make the structure of the diorama iv used the paper clishe metod wich iv painted after, but i have a problem :

How can i make realistic grass??

Also what makes it even more difficult is that in my tow there is no specialized store that cells modeling materials(wodland scheniks products, static grass , fake levees ,...) , there is a shop where i can buy revell models and they are awesome :D .

So does anyone have any ideas? :confused:

And of course THANKS! :)

Now ill show you a few important posts iv posted before :

Anyhow does anyone know is moss good to make grass and tall grass ,and will it eventually rotten or day-out , i know if i cloud make it with static grass there would be no problem , and it would stay like that forever, and iv heart that if you put glycerin (so it doesn't change the color) and than put hare spray it will be protected, but how long????
And the essential question how can i make tall grass without the specialized materials and which glue should i use???????????
Thanks!!!

Thanks OCN Guy !

But i was wondering ,you guys have solved my problem about short grass and moss (can i use the flock for tree levees ? ) ,but what would be the best chose for long grass (i want to make it so my 1:72 solders can stealth and make an ambush) :

1.should i use a rope ,speed it , cut it into smaller pieces,the grass would be very thin and it would get in a bunch
2.should i use the top of an brush ,the grass would be a bit fatter and it would be able to fall separately(i think )
3.to use natural moss
4.to to use something else
And of course THANKS!

The problem is that i cant find fur, i can bud than i would aider need to buy furry clothes (too expensive) or to buy a deed stuff animal (that wot work).
Iv seen a good idea on this website
http://www.modelhut.com/
it looks nice and realistic(atliest on the photo and he says its good) , but i don't quite understand what is it and where in the couch did he find it can someone post a photo or explain it to me ,

Can anyone show me a technique to put long grass,iv seen lots of vies to do that, but noting works, the blow the grass and hold the diorama almost doesn't have any effect, the idea to make small holes and use a needle to put the the grass in doesn't work i just get the grass all around the room,the technique to strait the grass with a brush works halfly, i manage to straiten the grass but i get lots of gaps.
I used wood glue(two kinds) but i need to put a lot of it , it takes a long time to dry,and it just wets all the grass and i get a mixture of grass and glue, iv tried universal glue , non colored , but it only a nit better than the wood glue ,it straitens the grass more ,but it makes bigger gaps, the last iv tried is the revel pro modeling glue , the one with a needle , its good but the cardboard iv tried to experiment on just sucked almost all of the glue , and it would cost me rely a lot because i would need to buy about 30 bottles!
So does anyone know a way to make long grass , how to glue it , and what glue should i sue????
Always thanks!

Hy everyone , its me , who would a fought.....
I had fount, developed and created a enchant way to make grass for dioramas completely by your own ,and it looks good

Okay pretend you didn't reed that , anyhow iv toke a peace of stiropolm (iv didn't spell it correctly, sorry) and put some wood glue (white glue) and left it for a few minutes so it got stickier and a lot better, the next ting iv done is that i took the green rope that i made and cut it in size of long grass, the main trick is not to cut all of it and then to put it on glue , but to cut pieces of it , you first cut a longer part , about 4com, ( i think that about 2 inches) and you bend it in half , and cut it whit scissors, than repeat that until you have have cut the whole piece of the rope and you take the bunch of grass looking threads and put them on the glue (do not throw them gently press the ends to the glue ) next you can use a tooth pick to put the grass that is not glued nice in place ,and you can tap it a bit with the tooth pick ,next you can add some other tings to make the grass look more realistic(iv used some kind of a grass that gas weary small flowers or seeds ) next you tap it with a tooth pick (more precise) , or with your finger, that way you make the grass became smaller because when you push it it dives more and more into the glue. <- this is the stage im in now so ill just let the glue to settle .
What il do next is im gonna use a comb to get the unwanted, and unglued grass out, and then im gonna use water colors to paint the ends( the light green if you want spring and summer grass, the light brown if you want autumn , and yellow if you want the hot summer days, or again autumn, and if you want to make a dark fores grass you can use a bit of black, please everyone correct me if i am wrong im not that good with colors).

This is something iv discovered this evening, and im still experimenting with it, but it seams quite good so ill let you know how is it.

So what do you think about it?????

About that last one im now self-centered, that first sentence was a jock, and im very sorry because of the long texts , iv caught that bad hobbit in school :( .
And ,of course thanks!

If someone was wondering Cika(Čika) miens mister but like when a child speaks to an or about an man who he doesn't know well but hes parents know him (mister Jack) tetreb is a cine of bird from the chicken family exact it is an wild animal.
this is a tetreb:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrao
you call it tetrao

Now for the important stuff:
The technique iv machined , iv left it stay over night so the glue can dry , and now iv toked a comb and brushed the grass, when iv bowed before noting had fallen off ,but with a comb about a half of the grass had fallen also when i tap the Styrofoam (Polystyrene i thin, iv didn't spell it right sorry) the same happens.
If i turn it upside down if blow , the grass stays nicely , but whit a comb the big and small parts that aren't glued nicely fall of (i brush gently i dont tear of the grass ), if i use my fingers the big parts fall out , and if i tapp it the small parts fall and sometimes the bigger ones.But after all it doesn't loot that bad ,i would upload a picture , but i don't know on which site .

Does this suppose to be like that or i need to find another technique or glue????

I believe this member would like to know the materials and methods you use to model grass on your layouts.
Myself I just used ground foam sprinkled on turf colored wet paint. Not the best but it worked for me.
Cheers
Willis

Yes your right!
Iv already explained what cine of diorama im making , so at the moment im looking for alternative methods to make long grass.
Does anyone know any???
Thanks!

coconut will work well for most simple dioramas, however, it is perishable so it might be a good idea to opt for static grass (found at most craft stores) if you want the diorama to last for a long time.

Read more: How to Make Grass for Diorama | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6226149_make-grass-diorama.html#ixzz150C4E8Dj

The coconut fibers are perishable over time, they will harden, become brittle and most likely shouldn't be used for a permanent scene. However the idea is a good one to discuss what possible materials could be substitute for the coconut.

Cheers
Willis

Its nice you want to help , but iv seen foursomes of ways to make a static grass applicator, and they aren't that cheep or safe.

First you need to find a strong slash light, he had it so it didn't cost him anything , next you need a negative ion generator , that you can find in some electronic shops or on the internet , the both ways don't work for me , because it would cost me more to get one in to the country than to buy 5 of them , and i don't really know where i can find a shop that cells them , ant 120 wolds can kill you!!!

So that's not such awesome as they say , but thanks i really eprisihate that you want to help THANKS!:)

Hi everyone , today when i was in a toy shop where i both my revell models , iv asked about which glue cloud i use for the grass and leafs (iv explained all the details) , and they sad i cloud try using glue that is used for gluing puzzles .
So what do you think is it a good idea ?????
And of course THANKS! :)

Hi iv just found this website:
http://www.joefix-studio.be/producten.asp
can i make some of this products with the supplies from a flower shop????
And always THANKS! :)
From the joefix-studio there are a lot of those materials you can use. I liked the photo showing (119 diorama base green moss)
http://www.joefix-studio.be/voorbeelden/119.jpg
It is possible for you to collect your own supply of moss, preserve and dye it to the colors you want on your diorama.
That is a fantastic web site I wish it was in America
Cheers
Willis

Thanks , but im in my town (as i know) from specialized modeling shops there's only one small hobby shop and a toy store that cells revel models and equipment and if i buy from out of the country it would cost you 3 times more than the usual price .
About the moss iv found lots of nice muss that i can buy , bu will it eventually rotten and than i can only toss my diorama in the trash :( , is there a way to make it "immortal"????
And always thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The shipping costs and additional taxes also limit what I purchase from other countries.
However you can treat your own moss. Lichen is also a plant than can be preserved and dyed with different colors.
The following link will take you to a site that shows how to preserve lichen, there's no reason that I know of that it would not work on moss
http://www.pomfret.com/user/railroad/tips/lichen/
1 Gallon is equal to 3.8 liters
You can mix a small batch of dye and glycerin and water. I purchase the Glycerin at local pharmacies in small bottles

Cheers
Willis

Thanks! :)
Thanks a great idea, iv already saw some moss grass and its pretty nice , but will it easily fall of or get destroyed, iv seen it in flower shops and with time all of it it just falls of or, roatens , how long would it last prepared as in the tutorial ??????
I just had an idea , clod i use paint and glicerin to make strong glue ??
ps:THANKS!

clod i use paint and glicerin to make strong glue ??
I don't think that would turn out very good. Just do the preserving and dye first, let the moss dry for a few days, then paint the surface of where you want to place the grass with a ground color (Sand or tan color is nice) press and arrange the preserved moss into place and let it dry overnight. The paint will hold the moss in place.
If the moss becomes too dry, brittle or faded you can make refresher mixture of (dye; glycerin; water) and spray a light mist over the moss.

Cheers
Willis

Back