How do you make reeds?

Here is something we call cattails that grow in swamps here. I think a reed may be flatter.

attachment.php

There is a painted pond in the bottom right corner, below the sawmill. I attached some sisal rope, it came in a spool from the hardware store and was about 1/8" in diameter.

I cut off a small piece, about 3/8 inches long, and buried it in a dab of hobby tack. I painted the hobby tack brown like a small hummock, and painted some of the strands of rope green, and painted the tops brown for a couple millimeters. May not show up well on the photo, but the main thing was the rope and the anchor.

JB weld could be used for the anchor. Or, mix paint with sand to make a thick goop and dab that on there, and poke the rope in. Have the base of the rope flat across.

logandsawman

Ive made rushes using bristles from a cheap paint brush . I just laid some clear plastic film on my workbench, dribbled a blob of hot-melt glue on it then cut a small tuft of bristles off the brush and pressed it into the blob of hot-melt glue . Once I had made a sheet of them up I just cut them off the plastic sheet and glued them around my layout.
For reeds you would just cut longer tufts and dye them green or dip them in paint for summer foilage

Back