HOw do you know if your train might be too long?

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
If your lead engine can couple with your caboose, your train might be too long.

If your engine smokes the Goo Gone off your track without moving, your train might be too long.

If you have to break your train to execute a reverse loop, your train might be too long.

If your six-unit coal drag trips the circuit breaker on your DCC unit going up a 1% grade, your train might be too long.

If you have to carry a shoe box to hold the car cards, your train might be too long.

If the engineer can mistake his own FRED for a stop signal, your train might be too long.

If you have to make more than 10 cuts to break it down in your yard, your train might be too long.

If your train sounds like it going 80 smph but moving like it's going 5 smph, your train might be too long.

If the Westbound CSX Extra 10 meets the Northbound NS Extra 904, and they are both pulled by the same engine, your train might be too long.

If you need to break your train into more than 3 pieces to get your engine behind your train to make a set out, your train might be too long.

If you have to lash more than 3 switchers together to get it into the yard, your train might be too long.

If your engine is smoking, and you ran out of that stuff you put in the smoke stack last week, your train might be too long.

If you fill the A/D track in more than one yard at the same time, your train might be too long.

If your passengers can board a train walk to the dining car and have lunch in the next station then walk to the front car and exit at their destination station and the train hasn't moved, your train might be too long.

If you have to perform a saw-by on yourself, your train might be too long.

If your occupancy detector won't let you into the next block becasue your train is still in it, your train might be too long.

If you have to do a manditory engine change before the caboose leaves the departure yard, your train might be too long.

If you can take on ice at more than two cities at the same time, your train might be too long.

If you can't get up a grade because you've trapped the helpers in their siding, your train might be too long.

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest wreck I ever had was related to the Engineer seeing the caboose up close. I had a loop of track about 60 cars and was running a train with 3 SD40-2s and 59 cars when I had a break-in-two and immediately the engines crashed into the caboose. The train was a hotshot at speed so cars started piling up. I'm sure you have seen photos where after a wreck the cars are piled up 3 high. There was a small house next to the tracks that ended up with a covered hopper on top of it. Its occupants have since moved.

Hey, It's our Caboose

"Hey, That's our Caboose"

On the club's 8x24 modular layout, and I had all of about 4 inches from end of train to front of train, 3 P1K FM C-Liners on the front, with an Atlas-Kato RSD-5 entrained about midway. 86 cars, 4 locomotives and a crummy.

Back