How do you handle bug control in the basement?

I think the scorpions follow the crickets. There is a chemical that ya lay out where the crickets and scorpions hang out and it dries them out. I can't remember the name of it though.

I believe you are talking about the diatomaceous earth I mentioned on the previous page.

Yeah...Hi...yeah it's me...Yeah I get Milton to go down there with a can of bug spray and a flashlight. Slight cockroach problem...Great...

:)

Man I'm not going to complain about my occasional thousand leggers and harmless little spiders and crickets. Your guy's basements sound like creepy crawlly land. The most dangerous thing in mine is my dog.

The diatomaceous earth must be placed in a berm about 1/4" deep so that the bugs of most kinds get it in their carapaces if they move through it. It gets into their spiracles and joints and causes irritation and they begin to sweat to rid themselves of the irritant. They die the same way mice and rats die with their poisons....they get so dehydrated that they die.

However, as I said a long time ago in this discussion, baking soda is much cheaper and about as good.

Man I'm not going to complain about my occasional thousand leggers and harmless little spiders and crickets. Your guy's basements sound like creepy crawlly land. The most dangerous thing in mine is my dog.

For some reason the image of Indiana Jones picking his way past giant spiders, bugs and snakes in a dungeon just jumping into my mind.:rolleyes:

I've heard Peppermint oil will repel spiders; put some on a cotton ball and stick it in any cracks or crevices. Also, putting out a saucer of vinegar is supposed to help; that is if you don't mind smelling the vinegar odor.

D.A.

Sort of funny. When I first saw the title about bugs, I was going to suggest importing spiders to take care of them.....

I have all kinds of spiders, i.e. Virginia Wolf Spider, Grass Spiders, Black Widows and the Daddy Long Legged Spiders.
I didn't know there were black widows in Virginia. I had never seen a black widow until I moved from living in South Carolina, Kansas, and Missouri to the semi-arid Colorado. We got some whoppers out here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sort of funny. When I first saw the title about bugs, I was going to suggest importing spiders to take care of them.....

I didn't know there were black widows in Virginia. I had never seen a black widow until I moved from living in South Carolina, Kansas, and Missouri to the semi-arid Colorado. We got some whoppers out here.

Yeah, and the further West you go, the larger they get! LOL

Heteropoda_ZZ279_F26491_zps5dedfed5.png

THEY'RE COMIN' TO GET YOU, HAHA, HEHE, HOHO!!

Over in NZ, not only do we have the Aussie Huntsman, known there as the "Avondale spider" because it's mainly found in the Auckland suburb of that name (was also used in the movie Arachnaphobia, 'cause they are a social spider, living in groups), but we have this great looking beastie, not usually found in houses as they like rotting wood and damp holes in trees.

They are called by their Moari name of "Weta", not known to bite, but they do have a large spike for a tail which can harbor bacteria.
images4_zps84ee7ff7.png

and here's a particularly ugly specimen
images10_zps31dfb61a.png

.... we have this great looking beastie, not usually found in houses as they like rotting wood and damp holes in trees.

They are called by their Moari name of "Weta", not known to bite, but they do have a large spike for a tail which can harbor bacteria.
images4_zps84ee7ff7.png

and here's a particularly ugly specimen
images10_zps31dfb61a.png

Ah, they like rotting wood (possibly they like eating the termites that are eating the wood). So if someone finds these little critters under their layout, they will end up wishing they had found only spiders.

Termites are virtually unknown in NZ, but yeah there's plenty of other wood boring insects around, just aren't as damaging. Seeing spiders is nothing compared to coming face to face with one of these.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the things I've seen that works pretty good for repelling insects and spiders is hedgeapples. They're also known as monkey balls, osage-orange, or horseapples as Texans call `em. You really don't gotta do anything special, just leave them in the corners of the basement. While some grocery stores sell them you can often find them on the side of the road. You don't have to worry about them attracting mice because they don't like them either. How they repel pests is they produce a smell almost undetectable to humans but nasty to insects and mice. They're also non toxic to humans and pets so you don't have to worry about something like your dog or one of your kids eating them.

Geez, you guys have some MAJOR bug issues! I'm starting to feel better about living in the cold north winds of Wisconsin. Our worst offenders are earwigs and the occasional invasion of box elder and lady bugs. My wife can't stand any bugs in the house, so she hired Orkin pest control several years ago, because my home defense applications just weren't getting the job done. Now, it is unusual to see a bug anywhere inside the house regardless of season. Orkin is expensive, but very effective. I call my Orkin guy "Bob, the harbinger of death".

Jeff

hedch apples

This year bad bug problem in ks. a old remdy here thaz wont hurt animals and kids hedch apples.lest that what my mom and wife say i use a heavy shoe myself.

Use diatomaceous earth, food grade. Spread it around in places under and around the layout. It kills many crawling bugs without the hazard of poisons.

Back