How did you pick your handle?

mantua mike

I realize some of them are probably quite obvious. I'll also bet some of them have an interesting story behind them. Mine would seem pretty obvious since we are all familiar with Mantua models, however Mantua is also the name of the town I grew up in in Ohio.

DairyStateDad is an online moniker I began using about 8 or 9 years ago, in a variety of other contexts. Eventually I began a blog about my model railroading pursuits using the name, so when I joined this place (and a few other Model RR forums) decided to continue using it....

Mine is my railroad empire. A long time ago, in 1984, the D&J Railroad was born in N. Stafford, VA. It was a small railroad and didn't even have an industry. Trains would move from one end of the simple switching yard to the other, sorting cars that would go nowhere. A small boy took his turn in running the Trainmaster and learned the principles of coupling cars without slamming them. He grew to understand how to lay track and solder wires. Soon it came time to name this railroad and he suggested, "How about the Dad and Jon Railroad". I thought, how cool that he had the cognitive reasoning to come up with a name like that. The name was approved and the first locomotive and revenue box car was painted with the logo. The significance of the road number was, 2 (my wife and I) 3 (my three kids) and 5 (the total of the family).

TrainMaster4_zpsa114d7cd.png

The railroad expanded and became a dogbone configuration then later expanded again another 20' around the basement. The rolling stock roster grew along with the list of leased motive power of the Southern Pacific, Union Pacific and Santa Fe lines. Industries sprung up around the layout and business was good.
Finally, one day when my son was in his Junior year in high school he stopped me in the kitchen upstairs, and with a very sincere look in his eyes said, "Dad, trains aren't cool anymore", then asked for the car keys. I was stunned. My railroad buddy of the past 10 years was walking away from our interest. It was emotional for me to suddenly hear that decision, but before I gave him the keys I summed up the composure in spite of what he just told me and said, "if you're going north, stop by the hobby shop and pick up a couple of #8 turnouts for the oil industry I was going to install". "Yeah, sure dad."

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so happened that there was a program on TV about the Egyptian boy king when I was casting about for a name and they were pronouncing his name as tutankhamoon,(which is probably correct way to say it) gave me the idea to mess about with it. Suits the car forums I'm on as well as MRR's.

Mine was hard to come up with. It took me a whole 5 seconds and when I put it in and it was available I was very surprised. So I ran with it. And it made for a very cool looking avatar. By the way, if any of you guys want a snazzy avatar let me know. I do free graphic design work. If you are Aussie I can even make it upside down for you so you can read it without standing on your head. Or do you guys turn your monitors upside down? :D

Finally, one day when my son was in his Junior year in high school he stopped me in the kitchen upstairs, and with a very sincere look in his eyes said, "Dad, trains aren't cool anymore", then asked for the car keys.

Sounds like that bane of most young MRR's has struck: Puberty

Mine is pretty straight forward. The wombat is an Australian Native Animal - small, methodical and one tough little guy. Wombat has been my nickname for years, for as long as I can remember.

I realize some of them are probably quite obvious. I'll also bet some of them have an interesting story behind them.
When I first started joining railroad related forums all of the handles I could think of were already taken. So I kept ending up with things I thought were lame. Never liked them. But then we got an X-box and had to create a persona for that and I thought OH No here we go again another lame name.... My youngest son wanted his to be a starwars cow boy but he didn't like "cow" could he be a horse boy? I suggested bantha boy, but he ended up being Darth Wrangler. Anyway the horse boy idea stuck around in my brain I guess because when it came my turn everyone started making railroadish suggestions -- most of which were cliche or boring -- someone said something about iron and my brain jumped through the hoops iron horse -> horse boy -> horseman -> iron horseman. Finally a name I like on several levels. The horses left with my daughter when she got married a year ago so they are too far away to ride at anytime, but all the trains stayed here.

Mine was hard to come up with. It took me a whole 5 seconds and when I put it in and it was available I was very surprised. So I ran with it. And it made for a very cool looking avatar. By the way, if any of you guys want a snazzy avatar let me know. I do free graphic design work. If you are Aussie I can even make it upside down for you so you can read it without standing on your head. Or do you guys turn your monitors upside down? :D

I'm up for a nice avatar, and don't worry about making it upside down either - we Aussie's are a very adept people ;)

Mine is my last name and my race number for my vintage motorcycles. One of which, is a Hodaka Combat Wombat.

Digging a little deeper... I came up with my 203 race number one night while bellied up to a bar with my dad and brother. My dad introduced me as his youngest son. I was quick to point out that I was not the youngest child, however, because I have a crazy younger sister. Then, in my drunkenness, I said, "I'm the second of three. The good old 2-0-3." Then it stuck.

I grew up on a farm that had the CB&Q running right through the middle of it. I remember the passenger trains, freight trains and the speeders going down the track and the sounds they made. When a horn was blown for a crossing, the race was on to watch the train! I got to ride the last passenger train with my Dad when passenger service was discontinued on the route and then the track past our town was torn out and all we had was the "local" as needed. The track was kept in good repair for a few years then neglected with no maintenance at all in the later years. The track was torn out in the early 80's and I've had to go to the next town over to get my train fix. Trains back then were much more interesting than most any you see today. There were more railroads with their colors and heralds, along with a varied assortment of products carried on flat cars and gondolas that was almost like an advertisement for the manufacturers. The closest thing to unit trains were the coal drags that operated out of the local mines. That's just some of the reasons I model the Burlington Route with no hint of pre-merger green.

When asked to choose a user id, I looked around for ideas, and found a photo of a locomotive on my mousepad.

I've been a B&O modeler most of my life. Back in 2005 however, I got this crazy idea that maybe I could get my son interested in the hobby if I modeled the trains that currently ran near our house: CSX in the YN2 (gray/blue/yellow) paint scheme. I also liked how they were recycling their GP30's and GP35's into road slugs and decided to kitbash a few of those. I was in the middle of that project when I chose my screen name.

Fast foreward to 2010: I was clearing a bunch of packed-away trains from my mother-in-law's crawl space, which included a small fleet of Stewart F7's and Proto2000 geeps painted for B&O. I tested them and discovered that 95% of them still ran quite well. Then and there I decided to go back to the 1970-72 era B&O because (1) I missed having cabooses and (2) I hated installing ditch lights. [On top of that, my son completely lost interest in trains - CSX or not.]

So I still have that original screen name, even though I've been back into modeling B&O for ~ 4 years now, because that is how I've always been known on the various forums I belong to.

My sweetie tells me it was what used to work to get me to come up out of the basement before all that short term memory loss. She says that "hey you" works about as well now and maybe even better. She's pretty sure that she's going to find a skeleton down there eventually.

In retrospect, I wish I'd picked something clever or that said something about me... But alas... My handle is just my name.

Not too hard to figure out mine. I love 1968 Barracudas. I use the same handle on all the various automotive forums I participate in too. The white fastback has been mostly restored for years. The turquoise fastback and the green convertible are awaiting their turns at restoration (once my 68 Charger is done). The blue convertible was my daily driver in college and throughout the 1980's. Its long gone, but I will forever miss it.

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 171
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 177
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 288
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg