how come?

First the X2F horn hook will work when properly mounted.However,due to looks the KD coupler is the de facto standard coupler of choice..
Now the #5 coupler is closer to S Scale then HO so advance modelers are turning to the scale #58,78,148 and 158 coupler.

And, of course, because of the above reasons, the manufacturers no longer produce items with the old coupler.

So the knuckle couplers maintain all the "pros" minus the "cons."

Don't overlook the fact that the other coupler styles have come down in cost a lot since they were first introduced. I recall a time when Kadee was pretty much the only game in town, and they weren't cheap. Manufacturers probably didn't want to add that much cost to the models, especially on the low end stuff that was intended for the toy train market.

And, of course, because of the above reasons, the manufacturers no longer produce items with the old coupler.

So the knuckle couplers maintain all the "pros" minus the "cons."

Actually the cons remains for many including the #5 and other sizes(20s,30s and 40s) being more to S Scale then HO...We average mortals accept the knuckle spring where many of todays advance modelers are turning to the Sargent coupler due to them being more realistic looking...However,not to be out done many of the average and above average modelers are turning to the scale couplers sizes as the new de facto standard.

Actually the cons remains for many including the #5 and other sizes(20s,30s and 40s) being more to S Scale then HO...We average mortals accept the knuckle spring where many of todays advance modelers are turning to the Sargent coupler due to them being more realistic looking...However,not to be out done many of the average and above average modelers are turning to the scale couplers sizes as the new de facto standard.

Ah, I stand corrected. That was simply never an issue for me :D

Well my thoughts is to use the new scale whisker couplers on the cars and engines I will use at home and retain the #5s for club use..So,I will be changing out couplers on 65 cars and my 12 favorite engines.:D
I find using the new whisker coupler is easier for me to mount with the limited use of my right hand even though I can almost mount #5s with one hand.

Back