Holographic Imaging

bruce spencer

Hello, I was woundering if anyone knows anything about a holograghic imaging system that could project images on the wall for your layout in real time which could cover all four seasons plus day and night.Also if there is such a thing if you could use different time era videos to match the era of trains you want to use :)

You're kidding, right? I don't know where you live at but the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry has a huge layout that uses a form of holographic images that just does changes of time and season for the backgound on their layout. I think the price was about $400k, not including the computer interface. I'd guess we're about three generations away from the kind of thing you want unless Bill Gates sends you a few million for Christmas. :)

You could just use a simple computer projector, for backdrop changes, but those cost over $1k for anything good.

You're kidding, right? I don't know where you live at but the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry has a huge layout that uses a form of holographic images that just does changes of time and season for the backgound on their layout. I think the price was about $400k, not including the computer interface. I'd guess we're about three generations away from the kind of thing you want unless Bill Gates sends you a few million for Christmas. :)
:Thanks but no thanks.I was just asking a question.By the way the film industry has been using holographic imaging for years and I am sure they are not spending that kind of money.Besides that how hard could it be to have a dvd made of a time period and play it through a projection system.Sorry I just wanted to know if anybody knew if there was a system out there.

There's a trick called Peppers Ghost - most notably used in Walt Disney's Haunted Mansion.

Here's the wiki page - might be a idea to look at if you want to emulate holograms.

Perhaps the term "holgraphic projection" might not be the correct one? From what I understand such a system uses lasers to project 3-D images in space, and one can look at the subject from all around. Can't see how this would work as background scenes on a model railroad. Rear projection screens, perhaps.

Maybe you're thinking of green screen photography as done by the movie industry? The background is all green (or blue), and it does not show up in the specially modified camera and/or electronics. Backgrounds are added in final processing. This only works of course with completed scenes shot on video, not for live viewing.

Its possible, a wall of LCD's run by a PC controlling your video's of these seasons and era's. I believe I seen a TV program with a fabric LCD material, which would be perfect.

If you got the money anything can be done.

:By the way the film industry has been using holographic imaging for years and I am sure they are not spending that kind of money.

Can you give me any link to a film studio that has been using holographic images for backgrounds for years? Not just special effects, as Bob alluded to, I mean live backgrounds. I'm willing to be educated since you seem to know more about this than I do.

How about a vertical/overhead projector like companies use at their office meetings & the schools use them also. This would give you what I think you might want. You can get the clear photo's from the company that makes them.

Larry

Thank you for your input.I like a guy who is honest and is not a know it all like my response from Jim.He needs to take a chill pill. I was looking for ideas not sarcastic remarks.This is a fine hobby for fun, not rocket science.Ideas of new technology is always a great way to expand our hobby such as dcc and proto sound / computer enhanced circuit boards for our locomotives .I thought of doing what you said with the projector but I was was thinking of the future .Guess I watched to many scifi movies, but you must say it is a great idea and maybe if someone in our hobby has the cash they might look into it and invest in the idea which could make it cost effective for all hobbyist,maybe a big money maker for the right investor and a whole lot of more realism and fun for us.

Bruce, I was not trying to be a know it all. You were the one who stated that holographic images are commonly used for backgrounds in movies. I'm still waiting for that link. Unfortunately, holographic imaging is a lot closer to rocket science than anything we do now in model railroading. DCC and sound is both simple and inexpensive compared to anything that has to do with imaging. If you want to learn more about the complexities of holographic projection, read this PhD thesis at www.media.mit.edu/spi/SPIPapers/halazar/thesis-orig.pdf.

Jim ,Thank You for your insite on understanding holographic imaging.But what I was asking if anyone may know if there is such a method out there that was affordable so as I may add more realism to my layout.I take it that you do not know. This information that I have sent along with my reply came from the 160 page plus thesis you sent me that may be helpful to other readers to understand the conquest and desire of achieving more realism in our hobby. Conclusion
In the past thirty years, computer graphics has evolved from wireframe images and stick figures to
full length feature movies and imagery visually indistinguishable from real objects. Realism, animation,
and simulation of natural phenomena will continue to become better and faster as the future
unfolds. But the next step toward realism, the world of three-dimensional images, still lies ahead.
The multiple viewpoint rendering algorithm described in this thesis is one of the links between
today’s graphics techniques and the three-dimensional display devices of tomorrow.
Multiple viewpoint rendering is not designed to solve the general problem of animating objects
efficiently. It is tailored to a much smaller problem: how to generate a dense, regular sampling
of view information of a scene that can be used for three-dimensional display. By restricting its
scope in this way, MVR can harness perspective coherence to improve the efficiency of rendering
perspective image sequences. MVR uses explicit geometric information, not image data, to interpolate
the positions of objects in intermediate views. Image generation can occur at rates one to two
orders of magnitude faster than existing rendering algorithms with higher quality output than image
interpolation techniques.
Today, MVR can be implemented using established computer graphics techniques, running
on existing software and hardware platforms, rendering commonplace geometric databases. Small
modifications to existing algorithms and hardware designs can bring even greater performance and
quality improvements. In the future, MVR will remain efficient as object databases become more
detailed because perspective coherence is for the most part independent of the size of the geometric
primitives that make up a scene.
The challenge of convenient, affordable, high fidelity three-dimensional displays remains daunting
because of limitations of bandwidth and display technologies. Generating a single image will
always remains easier than generating many different ones. Because of this fact, MVR will not
replace single viewpoint rendering any more than 3D displays will obsolete flat, static images.
However, efficient image generation is now a much less significant obstacle to over come on the way
to practical three-dimensional displays. As new strides in display and information technology are
made, multiple viewpoint rendering and techniques derived from it will be able to provide a wealth
of three-dimensional information for applications that require the ultimate in realism.

Jim ,Thank You for your insite on understanding holographic imaging.But what I was asking if anyone may know if there is such a method out there that was affordable so as I may add more realism to my layout.I take it that you do not know. This information that I have sent along with my reply came from the 160 page plus thesis you sent me that may be helpful to other readers to understand the conquest and desire of achieving more realism in our hobby. Conclusion
In the past thirty years, computer graphics has evolved from wireframe images and stick figures to
full length feature movies and imagery visually indistinguishable from real objects. Realism, animation,
and simulation of natural phenomena will continue to become better and faster as the future
unfolds. But the next step toward realism, the world of three-dimensional images, still lies ahead.
The multiple viewpoint rendering algorithm described in this thesis is one of the links between
today’s graphics techniques and the three-dimensional display devices of tomorrow.
Multiple viewpoint rendering is not designed to solve the general problem of animating objects
efficiently. It is tailored to a much smaller problem: how to generate a dense, regular sampling
of view information of a scene that can be used for three-dimensional display. By restricting its
scope in this way, MVR can harness perspective coherence to improve the efficiency of rendering
perspective image sequences. MVR uses explicit geometric information, not image data, to interpolate
the positions of objects in intermediate views. Image generation can occur at rates one to two
orders of magnitude faster than existing rendering algorithms with higher quality output than image
interpolation techniques.
Today, MVR can be implemented using established computer graphics techniques, running
on existing software and hardware platforms, rendering commonplace geometric databases. Small
modifications to existing algorithms and hardware designs can bring even greater performance and
quality improvements. In the future, MVR will remain efficient as object databases become more
detailed because perspective coherence is for the most part independent of the size of the geometric
primitives that make up a scene.
The challenge of convenient, affordable, high fidelity three-dimensional displays remains daunting
because of limitations of bandwidth and display technologies. Generating a single image will
always remains easier than generating many different ones. Because of this fact, MVR will not
replace single viewpoint rendering any more than 3D displays will obsolete flat, static images.
However, efficient image generation is now a much less significant obstacle to over come on the way
to practical three-dimensional displays. As new strides in display and information technology are
made, multiple viewpoint rendering and techniques derived from it will be able to provide a wealth
of three-dimensional information for applications that require the ultimate in realism.
Note: I just found this web site that all of you may find interesting in holographis imaging: www.holocenter.org/FUJIFILM.pdf

Back