Hob-e-Tac Issue

Any of you guys had any issues with Hob-e-Tac? Followed the instructions....brushed it on the limbs kind of thick, let it set for 15-20 minutes until it starts to get clear and very tacky. Dipped the tree into the foam, shook off excess, pressed the foam onto the limbs to help stick the foam to it. Stuck the tree's in styrofoam to set. Over the past 16 hours, foam clumps keep falling off. They were pressed on good, but this stuff just isn't holding the foam. It's not like all of it is falling off.....but I'd say roughly 10% has fallen off. It's not just extra the was hanging on to the other foam, it's falling off the actual limb where Hob-e-Tac was.

I can't have this stuff falling all over the layout.....so what can I do to make the stuff stick? White glue instead of Hob-e-Tac? Spray what I have now with diluted white glue or matte medium?

I think you're supposed to spray the trees with glue after adding the foliage. Don't quote me tho cuz I dont make trees myself.

---
- Sent from my phone

I mix a 4to1 solution of Matte Medium & water for all my tree's. Like 4 parts water to 1 part Matte in a plastic tray. I use a small plastic cup for the mix ratio. I dip the tree armature in the liquid & let it soak for about 30 seconds, then sprinkle the foam/flock over the top of the armature over another plastic container(reuse it over & over). Then I hang them from a clothesline w/a clothespin upside down. After they have dried for about 5 to 10 mins. I spray them w/the same solution that I used to dip them in & let them dry overnite. You can also use a 3 to 1 mix. I usually make 1 or 200 tree's in a session. I buy my Matte Medium at Wallyworld. I've tried about every way to make tree's & this works the best for me & is the cheapest. I use tree armatures from Scenic Express. I use to buy their flock too, but, now I make my own foam flocking.
I also use closenit sprigs off of tree's in my yard & other stuff of vines, etc.
You can make the foam/flock as thick as you want by spraying the solution & adding flocking over the dried stuff.

I have had the same issue with hobby tac and the foiage clumps falling off. I finally started using wood glue. High tack and real holding power. I either dip the pieces into some glue or brush the armature with the glue.

Stays put now.

I use Alleen's tacky glue, full strength, right out of the bottle for making trees. It holds strong and dries clear. Never tried wood glue other than for gluing the trees (pin CA'd into the base of the tree) into a hole drilled into a wood base, but no reason it wouldn't work too. I just like the Ailleen's due to the bottle it comes in having a spout like a ketchup bottle.

I have had the same issue with hobby tac and the foiage clumps falling off. I finally started using wood glue. High tack and real holding power. I either dip the pieces into some glue or brush the armature with the glue.

Stays put now.
Well then! Maybe that will greatly reduce frustration levels!:D

I had the same problem with Hobby tac, which is why I have a little sampler that is gathering dust.

Back