HO train storage

SDJeff

Texas Railfan
I have a closet full of HO scale locos and rolling stock, probably enough to fill 4 or 5 plastic totes - which I would use to store them. I would like to get them out of the closet and preferably up in the attic. The attic is not climate controlled. I live on the Gulf Coast where it is humid and the temps rarely dip below 32 in the winter.

I know the best way would to be keep them in the a/c area. Has anyone else had experience with non climate controlled storage? Hopefully they won't have to stay up there too long.
Jeff

I would NOT store them in the hot attic, especially in your climate. I live in NY and wouldn't store in my attic either.
Cold is not so much the issue.
The heat is! It can melt or warp plastic if it gets too hot up there, even if ventilated...think about a kid or dog in the closed up car during summer.
Now if you are only going to put them up there for Mid-Nov-ish-to-mid-March-ish, you might be alright during the cooler months.
Also if you do, watch what you pack them in...as some foam in high temps can disintegrate faster and stick to your RR equipment.

Just my thoughts, ideas, opinions and experiences, others may vary.
________
ANIME MOVIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Leave them in the closet where they are safe. If you put them in the attic people have the tendacy to forget them. Out of sight, out of mind. I know from experience. I lost 10 steam engines to heat many years ago because of heat storage in newspapers wrapped w/plastic bags.

You'd be amazed how hot an attic can get. My attic is extremely well ventilated and has radiant barrier sheathing under a metal roof. I keep a wireless thermometer up there. Last summer it peaked at 115F when the outdoor temperature was 98. Poorly or marginally ventilated attics without radiant barrier sheathing (most don't have it) get much hotter. 130 to 140F is not unusual. Even higher temperatures are possible.

Thanks, that's what I kind of thought.

I know better than to get in the attic during the summer. Heck, I installed a couple of more roof turbines to the house during the first February that I moved in the place and worked up a sweat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back